How To Play
Fantasy Movie League is a fantasy sports-style weekend movie box office game, where players use their knowledge and skill to pick which group of films will generate the highest gross revenue..
1. The game is broken down into four seasons. For the 2017-2018 game year, the Seasons are:
- Summer - May 30 to Aug 27 (13 weeks)
- Fall - Aug 28 to Nov 26 (13 weeks)
- Awards - Nov 27 to Feb 25 (13 weeks)
- Spring - Feb 26 to May 20 (12 weeks)
2. Each week, players select up to eight films to feature on the screens of their own Fantasy Cineplex. Each movie available for selection has an associated FML Bux cost and all players must stay within a fixed spending limit of $1,000 FML Bux.
3. In most weeks, there will be 15 movies available for selection. However, in some weeks where there is only one major release, a single movie will be broken down into three different showings (Friday Only, Saturday Only and Sunday Only) with each available as its own selection. In this case, a player's Cineplex will only earn the Box Office total for the individual day (e.g., If you put the Saturday Only showing in your Cineplex, you will earn the Box Office total for Saturday but not for Friday or Sunday).
4. In addition, some weeks will have a "Best of the Rest" selection available. When featured, this will act as a wild card that will eventually be swapped out for the highest grossing film not available for individual selection in that week. The final determination on which film is the "Best of the Rest" will be made once final box office earnings are released and will be based on data available from BoxOffice.com.
5. Players can feature a movie on as many screens as their budget allows. They will earn the movie's Box Office total for each screen of their Fantasy Cineplex that features the movie.
6. Players do not have to select movies for all eight of their Fantasy Cineplex screens and may strategically choose not to do so. However, a $2MM penalty will be assessed for each unused screen and the total sum of all penalties will be deducted from the players box office total at the end of the week. If a player does not select any movies for their Cineplex, all movies from the prior week that are available in the current week will automatically be carried over - the lowest priced movies will be dropped in the event that the prior week's lineup would exceed the $1000 FML Bux limit using the current week's prices.
7. The actual box office earnings of the movie featured on each screen in the player's Fantasy Cineplex are added together to form a total score for that week. The total of all weeks during a Season is accumulated for ranking purposes, but does not carryover from one Season to another.
8. The box office totals used are the Weekend earnings as reported by BoxOffice.com. Typically, Weekend earnings are calculated as Friday through Sunday except for Holiday Weekends (Memorial Day, Labor Day, MLK Day & Presidents Day), where the totals carry through until Monday. Additionally, any movie opening on Friday but offering "sneak peek" or "previews" on Thursday will have that revenue included in their total as well. If a movie opens on a Wednesday, the Wednesday and Thursday numbers are NOT included in the Weekend total.
9. New game weeks begin at 5:00:00 PM PT each Monday, except for Holiday Weekends, where the new week does not start until 5:00:00 PM PT on Tuesday. Regardless of the start day, all players must finalize their Fantasy Cineplex selections by 9:00:00 AM PT each Friday.
10. Players may add and remove movies as often as they would like prior to the Friday deadline. Movies that have been selected may be removed from Fantasy Cineplex screens and new movies added, so long as the player's budget never exceeds the $1,000 FML Bux limit. However, time of submission will be used to break any ties, with the earliest time getting preference.
11. At the conclusion of each game week, the player with the highest total Box Office score for the week will be rewarded with a prize: $100 gift card from MovieTickets.com for Weeks 1, 2, 4 & 6-13; a Sphero Ultimate Lightning McQueen remote control car from Walt Disney Studios in Week 3; a Despicable Me 3 prize pack from Universal Studios in Week 5. Time of submission will be used to break any ties, with the earliest time getting preference. For more information on prizes please read the Contest Rules.
12. Players automatically compete in the All Cineplexes League with all other Fantasy Movie League players and in a "Week X Starters" league with all other Cineplexes starting play during a given game week. They can also compete in multiple Public or Private Leagues. The winner of each "Week X Starters" league will be rewarded with a prize: Free Movies For A Year (defined as one $12.50 ticket per week for 52 weeks) for Week 1, $100 gift card from MovieTickets.com for Weeks 2-5, $50 gift card from MovieTickets.com for Weeks 6-9 and one custom designed Fantasy Movie League T-Shirt from 500 LEVEL for Weeks 10-13. For more information on prizes please read the Contest Rules.
13. Players can choose to compete in the Second Half Public League starting in Week 7. The winner of this league will be rewarded with a $250 gift card from MovieTickets.com. For more information on prizes please read the Contest Rules.
14. Regardless of league choices, for every $1MM in total box office earned by a player's Fantasy Cineplex they will receive one Golden Ticket.
15. Players will earn a bonus $2MM in Box Office total and the associated two Golden Tickets for each screen showing the weekly Best Performer, which is the movie with the highest Box Office per FML Buck.
16. Players will earn a bonus $5MM in Box Office total and an extra 500 Golden Tickets for each week in which they select the Perfect Lineup, which is the combination of eight screens resulting in the highest possible total Box Office score.
17. All Golden Tickets earned during a game week are entered into a weekly prize drawing, where one randomly selected Ticket will earn the owner one custom designed Fantasy Movie League T-Shirt from our prize partner, 500 LEVEL. For more information on prizes please read the Contest Rules.
18. All Golden Tickets earned during a Season are entered into a second prize drawing, where three randomly selected Tickets will each earn their owner a $100 gift card from MovieTickets.com. For more information on prizes please read the Contest Rules.
19. Players can also earn extra Golden Tickets by being a Weekly League Winner (50 Golden Tickets) or a Season League Winner (1000 Golden Tickets).
20. Golden Tickets do not carryover from one Season to another.
If you have any questions for us here at Fantasy Movie League, or have any comments or suggestions about the game, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.