How To Play
Fantasy Movie League is a fantasy sports-style weekend movie box office game, where players use their knowledge and skill to pick which group of films will generate the highest gross revenue.
1. The FML game year is broken down into 52 weekly competitions.
2. Each week, players select up to eight films to feature on the screens of their own Fantasy Cineplex. Each movie available for selection has an associated FML Bux cost and all players must stay within a fixed spending limit of $1,000 FML Bux.
3. In most weeks, there will be 15 movies available for selection. However, in some weeks where there is only one major release, a single movie will be broken down into multiple different showings (Friday Only, Saturday Only, Sunday Only, Monday Only, Saturday & Sunday Only, etc.) with each available as its own selection. In this case, a player's Cineplex will only earn the Box Office total for the individual day (e.g., If you put the Saturday Only showing in your Cineplex, you will earn the Box Office total for Saturday but not for Friday or Sunday).
4. In addition, some weeks will have a "Best of the Rest" selection available. When featured, this will act as a wild card that will eventually be swapped out for the highest grossing film not available for individual selection in that week. The final determination on which film is the "Best of the Rest" will be made once final box office earnings are released and will be based on data available from BoxOffice.com.
5. Players can feature a movie on as many screens as their budget allows. They will earn the movie's Box Office total for each screen of their Fantasy Cineplex that features the movie.
6. Players do not have to select movies for all eight of their Fantasy Cineplex screens and may strategically choose not to do so. However, a $2,000,000 penalty will be assessed for each unused screen and the total sum of all penalties will be deducted from the player's box office total at the end of the week. If a player does not select any movies for their Cineplex, all movies from the prior week that are available in the current week will automatically be carried over - the lowest priced movies will be dropped in the event that the prior week's lineup would exceed the $1000 FML Bux limit using the current week's prices.
7. The actual box office earnings of the movie featured on each screen in the player's Fantasy Cineplex are added together to form a total score for that week. The total of all weeks during a Season is accumulated for ranking purposes, but does not carryover from one Season to another.
8. The box office totals used are the Weekend earnings as reported by BoxOffice.com. Typically, Weekend earnings are calculated as Friday through Sunday except for Holiday Weekends (Memorial Day, Labor Day, MLK Day & Presidents Day) and occasional other Special Weekends (e.g., any year where Christmas Day falls on a Monday), where the totals carry through until Monday. Additionally, any movie opening on Friday but offering "sneak peek" or "previews" on Thursday will have that revenue included in their total as well. If a movie opens on a Wednesday, the Wednesday and Thursday numbers are NOT included in the Weekend total.
9. New game weeks begin at 5:00:00 PM PT each Monday, except for Holiday Weekends and Special Weekends, where the new week does not start until 5:00:00 PM PT on Tuesday. Regardless of the start day, all players must finalize their Fantasy Cineplex selections by 9:00:00 AM PT each Friday. In private leagues, these values may be customized by the league creator.
10. Players may add and remove movies as often as they would like prior to the Friday deadline. Movies that have been selected may be removed from Fantasy Cineplex screens and new movies added, so long as the player's budget never exceeds the $1,000 FML Bux limit. However, time of submission will be used as the secondary method to break any ties, with the earliest time getting preference (the FML Tiebreaker will be used as the primary method to break a deadlock).
11. Players will earn a bonus $2MM in Box Office total for each screen showing the weekly Best Performer, which is the movie with the highest Box Office per FML Buck. In private leagues, this value may be customized by the league creator.
12. Players will earn a bonus $5MM in Box Office total for each week in which they select the Perfect Lineup, which is the combination of eight screens resulting in the highest possible total Box Office score plus any bonuses already earned. In private leagues, this value may be customized by the league creator.
13. Any tie in weekly scoring will be broken based on a three-tier tiebreaker system. The first method used is the value submitted for the FML Tiebreaker during weekly lineup submission (the user closest to the total domestic box office gross of the highest priced movie of the week will be declared the winner). If users are still deadlocked after the FML Tiebreaker, then time of final Cineplex submission will be used to break any ties, with the earliest time getting preference. If users are still tied at that point, a coin flip will be used to determine the winner.
14. All players are automatically entered in (and cannot leave) the "FML League".
15. At the conclusion of each game week, the player with the highest total Box Office in the "FML League" will be rewarded with a prize. For February 2019, those prizes are:
- Weekend of February 1 to February 3: Jamie Foxx signed Any Given Sunday football helmet and a custom designed Fantasy Movie League T-Shirt. The ARV of this prize is $775.
- Weekend of February 8 to February 10: Liam Neeson signed issue of Premiere Magazine and a custom designed Fantasy Movie League T-Shirt. The ARV of this prize is $1300.
- Weekend of February 15 to February 18: Photo signed by La La Land stars Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, and a custom designed Fantasy Movie League T-Shirt. The ARV of this prize is $325.
- Weekend of February 22 to February 24: Photo signed by 23 Oscar winners (Kathy Bates, Robert Duvall, Anne Bancroft, Sidney Poitier, Audrey Hepburn, Anthony Hopkins, Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks & more) and a custom designed Fantasy Movie League T-Shirt. The ARV of this prize is $800.
16. Players will also have the opportunity to enter the four-week or five-week contests featured within the "Monthly Matchup" league, with a new contest beginning the first weekend of every month.
At the conclusion of each Month, the players with the highest total Box Office scores for the Month will be rewarded with a prize. For February 2019, those prizes are:
- First Place: $1,000 in cash gift cards
- Second Place: $250 in cash gift cards
- Third Place: $100 in cash gift cards
17. Players will also have the opportunity to enter the three-month long contests featured within the "Season Showdown" leagues. For the 2018-2019 game year, those Seasons are:
- Spring - Feb 26 to May 29 (13 weeks)
- Summer - May 29 to Sep 4 (14 weeks)
- Fall - Sep 4 to Dec 3 (13 weeks)
- Awards - Dec 3 to Feb 25 (12 weeks)
At the conclusion of each Season, the players with the highest total Box Office scores for the Season will be rewarded with a prize. For the 2018-19 Awards Season, those prizes are:
- First Place: One year of movies tickets for two (awarded in the form of a $1300 Fandango Promotional Code)
- Second Place: $500 Fandango Pomotional Code
- Third Place: $250 Fandango Promotional Code
18. In multi-week leagues, any overall tie in scoring will be broken by giving the higher ranking to the user who had the smallest gap between the sum of their weekly FML Tiebreaker guesses and actual movie box office totals over the course of the league. If users are still tied at that point, a coin flip will be used to determine the winner.
19. For more information on prizes please read the Contest Rules.
20. Apple Inc. is in no way involved with this contest.
If you have any questions for us here at Fantasy Movie League, or have any comments or suggestions about the game, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.