How To Play
Fantasy Movie League is a fantasy sports-style weekend movie box office game, where players use their knowledge and skill to pick which group of films will generate the highest gross revenue.
1. The FML game year is broken down into 52 weekly competitions.
2. Each week, players select up to eight films to feature on the screens of their own Fantasy Cineplex. Each movie available for selection has an associated FML Bux cost and all players must stay within a fixed spending limit of $1,000 FML Bux.
3. In most weeks, there will be 15 movies available for selection. However, in some weeks where there is only one major release, a single movie will be broken down into three different showings (Friday Only, Saturday Only and Sunday Only) with each available as its own selection. In this case, a player's Cineplex will only earn the Box Office total for the individual day (e.g., If you put the Saturday Only showing in your Cineplex, you will earn the Box Office total for Saturday but not for Friday or Sunday).
4. In addition, some weeks will have a "Best of the Rest" selection available. When featured, this will act as a wild card that will eventually be swapped out for the highest grossing film not available for individual selection in that week. The final determination on which film is the "Best of the Rest" will be made once final box office earnings are released and will be based on data available from BoxOffice.com.
5. Players can feature a movie on as many screens as their budget allows. They will earn the movie's Box Office total for each screen of their Fantasy Cineplex that features the movie.
6. Players do not have to select movies for all eight of their Fantasy Cineplex screens and may strategically choose not to do so. However, a $2,000,000 penalty will be assessed for each unused screen and the total sum of all penalties will be deducted from the player's box office total at the end of the week. If a player does not select any movies for their Cineplex, all movies from the prior week that are available in the current week will automatically be carried over - the lowest priced movies will be dropped in the event that the prior week's lineup would exceed the $1000 FML Bux limit using the current week's prices.
7. The actual box office earnings of the movie featured on each screen in the player's Fantasy Cineplex are added together to form a total score for that week. The total of all weeks during a Season is accumulated for ranking purposes, but does not carryover from one Season to another.
8. The box office totals used are the Weekend earnings as reported by BoxOffice.com. Typically, Weekend earnings are calculated as Friday through Sunday except for Holiday Weekends (Memorial Day, Labor Day, MLK Day & Presidents Day) and occasional other Special Weekends (e.g., any year where Christmas Day falls on a Monday), where the totals carry through until Monday. Additionally, any movie opening on Friday but offering "sneak peek" or "previews" on Thursday will have that revenue included in their total as well. If a movie opens on a Wednesday, the Wednesday and Thursday numbers are NOT included in the Weekend total.
9. New game weeks begin at 5:00:00 PM PT each Monday, except for Holiday Weekends and Special Weekends, where the new week does not start until 5:00:00 PM PT on Tuesday. Regardless of the start day, all players must finalize their Fantasy Cineplex selections by 9:00:00 AM PT each Friday.
10. Players may add and remove movies as often as they would like prior to the Friday deadline. Movies that have been selected may be removed from Fantasy Cineplex screens and new movies added, so long as the player's budget never exceeds the $1,000 FML Bux limit. However, time of submission will be used to break any ties, with the earliest time getting preference.
11. Players will earn a bonus $2MM in Box Office total for each screen showing the weekly Best Performer, which is the movie with the highest Box Office per FML Buck.
12. Players will earn a bonus $5MM in Box Office total for each week in which they select the Perfect Lineup, which is the combination of eight screens resulting in the highest possible total Box Office score plus any bonuses already earned.
13. All players are automatically enetered in (and cannot leave) the Weekly Winners contest within the FML League.
14. At the conclusion of each game week, the player with the highest total Box Office for the week will be rewarded with a prize. For December of 2017, those prizes are:
- Week of Nov 27: $1000 Cash
- Week of Dec 4: Darth Vader photo signed by James Earl Jones and Dave Prowse
- Week of Dec 11: Lightsaber signed by Mark Hamill
- Week of Dec 18: Pitch Perfect mini poster signed by Skylar Astin, Anna Camp, Brittany Snow and Kelley Jake
15. Players will also have the opportunity to enter the three-month long contests featured within the FML Classic leagues. For the 2017-2018 game year, those Seasons are:
- Spring - Feb 27 to May 30 (13 weeks)
- Summer - May 30 to Aug 28 (13 weeks)
- Fall - Aug 28 to Nov 27 (13 weeks)
- Awards - Nov 27 to Feb 26 (13 weeks)
16. At the conclusion of each Season, the player with the highest total Box Office score for the Season will be rewarded with a prize. For the 2017-18 Awards Season, those prizes are:
- First Place: One year of free movies for two ($1300 in MovieTickets.com gift cards)
- Second Place: $500 MovieTickets.com gift card
- Third Place: $250 MovieTickets.com gift card
17. Apple Inc. is in no way involved with this contest.
If you have any questions for us here at Fantasy Movie League, or have any comments or suggestions about the game, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.