Movie Costs?

@katzdillon · The Slave of Sobriety's Cineplex
Aug 15, 2019, 1:14pm PDT

What's the cost of each movie based on? Projections, budget, marketing...

6 Replies

• Reply #1

@katzdillon our FML movie prices are based on projections, player biases, and gameplay testing. Our goal is to make the game challenging enough that there is lineup variety. FML is not as exciting when everyone plays the same lineup.

@vincent_pricing · Vincent Pricing
    Sep 30, 2019, 6:32pm PDT
  • Reply #2

"Player biases"

I am curious to what that may refer but like it even without knowing.

@fourthwall · Fourth Wall
    Oct 1, 2019, 7:07am PDT
  • Reply #3

@fourthwall we mostly consider recency bias and movie popularity. In the early days, we weighed this too heavily and focused too much on the broader player base. Nowadays, we try to make our bias adjustments subtle and aimed at our more core players.

Our primary goal is to get people excited about playing again next week. Lineup variety in the Top 100 and Top 500 makes the game more enjoyable. And while generating accurate projections is the most important part of creating lineup variety, our primary goal isn't to have the "right" prices based on Monday actuals. We can tell whether we had a successful pricing week based on the lineup variety we see immediately after Friday lock time. When everyone plays the same lineup--regardless of whether it succeeds or tanks--it isn't a fun week for most people.

So if our projections tell us to price two movies the same, but one of them has stronger week-to-week holds, then we might give the "safer" movie a $1 boost. Because if a player has to make a tough choice between two like-priced movies, it's too easy to break the tie by picking the movie with the higher floor. Or if a movie has been in the Perfect Cineplex multiple times, recency bias will lead people to pick that movie more often. We might bump that movie up $1 as well. It's a case-by-case call and usually ties into lineup patterns we see during playtesting.

@vincent_pricing · Vincent Pricing
    Oct 1, 2019, 10:31am PDT
  • Reply #4

I'd like to heart the above comment about 20 times. Got your head in the right place, VP! :D

@dylan · Biff
    Oct 1, 2019, 3:03pm PDT
  • Reply #5

Absolutely...!

The best weeks are those with multiple anchor options, multiple BP candidates and filler coin flips.

That said, I think this season has been pretty damn solid so far.

@fourthwall · Fourth Wall
    Oct 2, 2019, 12:55am PDT
  • Reply #6

All I can say is that @vincent_pricing has become a master of their craft. Pricing has been on point for some time now. The game has become much harder but the fun is in the challenge. Hats off to the pricing team !

@old_crow · The Old Crow Picture Show
    Jan 26, 2020, 6:32pm PST
Add Reply