Summer 2016 Week 4 FML Comparator Update

@fmlnerd · FML Nerd
Jun 13, 2016, 5:14pm PDT

http://compare.fmlnerd.com/

Some updates worth mentioning:

• For this Monday data update, I've set returning films to the average value of the new films that have Long Range Forecasts, with some rounding error. This is an attempt to set a "Price Bar" so that films can be more easily compared relative to each other earlier in the week.

• The top left table has been rearranged to show more relevant data. Gone are the original values the tool gets initialized with (forecasts and deltas) and a new addition is the change a movie had last week. While this value is irrelevant for new films and films in their second week, it is incredibly relevant for others. Comparing this new value to the percent change your forecasts cause can be useful since many films, especially those not adding theaters or that have been poorly reviewed, tend to see their percent change drop over time.

By putting the numbers in this order, it makes it easier to see what films may need theater count help in order to have certain holds. Note that the color coding remains for when you change the estimates above/below what I set them to and you can still return the the original settings my moving the sliders back to the middle.

• Longer film titles with taglines or subtitles have now been shortened to display only the portion of the title that appears before a ":" so that information throughout the tables is easier to read.

• The data set now contains every possible combination, given pricing, each week instead of the previous limit of 150,000. Prior data techniques were improved upon in order to accomplish this and should result in faster page load times for most people, especially those on slow Internet connections.

• Finally, I fixed a bug when viewed on Mozilla that was causing the percentage text input to be too wide and forcing the "Set" button on another line. It looks much cleaner now.

• Other improvements are on their way throughout the summer as I migrate this to a new code base for a second generation of tooling. This includes the ability to save your work, a consolidation of Showtimes and Top 100 pages into the same site with common navigation instead of separate domain names as they are now, and new data tools including iSpotTV metrics, a comp finder, and a Thursday night data explorer.

As always, if you find any issues let me know on this thread and I'll do my best to fix them.

9 Replies

• Reply #1

Wow. You do amazing work. The load time was WAY faster for me, and as a Mozilla user, appreciate the button arrangement which is now all on one line.

Thank you for all the hard work!

@violetmoon · Violet Moon
    Jun 13, 2016, 5:18pm PDT
  • Reply #2

Love the changes Nerd!!

@ccr · CCR
    Jun 13, 2016, 5:23pm PDT
  • Reply #3

I'm always impressed with how much time you invest into our little game, much appreciated!

@user365j72 · Mara's Midnight Movie Madness
    Jun 13, 2016, 5:26pm PDT
  • Reply #4

Awesome. 1 question. It looks like L&F is being used as the last filler in $999 cinemas. Wouldn't Nice Guys or Neighbors take that spot?

@dave · Tuesday Night Movies - Dave (R)
    Jun 13, 2016, 5:40pm PDT
  • Reply #5

Clap hands!

@bnbehrens · Universcinema
    Jun 13, 2016, 5:43pm PDT
  • Reply #6

Yeah, you may have a bug that takes out $1000 lineups, that's been a problem in the past I remember. Cool update though! I can't wait to see what's next, let me know if you need any help.

@ari · Ari's Amphitheater of Moving Pictures
    Jun 13, 2016, 5:43pm PDT
  • Reply #7

You da man, FML Nerd

@toddmthatcher · Todd M Thatcher
    Jun 13, 2016, 6:01pm PDT
  • Reply #8

@Ari - Thanks for finding that.

@fmlnerd · FML Nerd
    Jun 13, 2016, 6:12pm PDT
  • Reply #9

Updated with pro forecasts. Dory supporters won't like it, but may get the last laugh when the Thursday night numbers get published.

http://compare.fmlnerd.com/
    http://pro.boxoffice.com/weekend-forecast-finding-dory-central-intelligence/
    http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/weekend-box-office-predictions-6-17-19-2016.html

@fmlnerd · FML Nerd
    Jun 15, 2016, 5:56pm PDT
Add Reply