FML Beginners Guide
If you're new to Fantasy Movie League, please take a few minutes to review the guides we've posted below. They are great resources if you have any questions or want some quick how-to-play tips!
FML 101: Scoring, Bonuses, & Calendar - http://fantasymovieleague.com/posts/582/fml-101-scoring-bonuses-and-weekly-calendar
FML 201: Resources - http://fantasymovieleague.com/posts/614/fml-201-resources
FML 301: Analysis Guidelines - http://fantasymovieleague.com/posts/655/fml
And below are some quick tips we copied that veteran FMLer Phil's Phun Phlicks has shared previously (thanks Phil!).
1) Do not treat your FML Cineplex like an actual movie theater - This is NOT a theater simulation. Everything is based on actual box office receipts for the weekend, and your entire goal is to maximize those returns. We've seen weeks in the past where playing the same movie on all eight screens actually was the way to go! If you have seven or eight different movies in your Cineplex right now, you're probably playing this wrong. Learning good lineup structure is key. Which brings me to point #2...
2) Use http://compare.fmlnerd.com/ to help with your lineup - A guy who calls himself the FMLnerd put this nice little tool together. It takes all the guesswork out of what is and isn't a good lineup. It looks daunting, but it's actually pretty simple. Just set your own box office estimates in the section to the right, and as you set them, the Top Screen Combinations section will give you an idea of what the best lineup is. Right now, only about 10% of the FML player base uses this amazing tool. So using it already gives you an advantage over 90% of your competition! NOTE: also try FMLnerd's new tool available here: analyzer.fmlnerd.com
3) Use the main Chatter to your advantage - There are a ton of people in the Chatter that do an inordinate amount of research each week into what the best lineup is. Feel free to jump in as well (this community is overly friendly) with any questions there. Also, there's a good shot you'll get a good idea what sort of lineups you should be playing.
Awesome, wish I had this when I started. Good job QA!Jun 1, 2016, 7:56am PDT
4) Don't take Steve too seriously. 95% of the time my little buddy is joking.
5) You'll be considered an official Chatterer once one of the following events happen: a) M37 corrects you, b) I throw a glass at you, c) Inglorious Basterd insults you, d) You confuse Steve (most likely to happen first)
6) Don't comment with "Roll Tide", that's takenJun 1, 2016, 7:58am PDT
You posted an angry David Tennett gif to me, does that count?Jun 1, 2016, 8:10am PDT
For the next FML Awards, my pic should just be of Brick Tamland from Anchorman, just seems like meJun 1, 2016, 8:10am PDT
I was about to say "this looks vaguely familiar" until I saw the citation. Thanks for posting this here as well FMLQA!Jun 1, 2016, 8:10am PDT
@ That guy (not to be confused with The Guy)
You were initiated ages ago!Jun 1, 2016, 8:23am PDT
Question. Why does a movie disappear when I pick another one? I picked TMNT and Captain America was blacked out for a choiceJun 1, 2016, 9:08am PDT
Because of its pricing. You are allocated $1000 Fantasy Dollars per week, so if a particular movie is expensive, you can only play it a certain number of times. Likewise, if you've used up a certain amount of money, other certain priced movies will no longer be available. Make sure you're keeping an eye on your budget!Jun 1, 2016, 9:09am PDT
Hi kehaccts - it's because you only have $1000 to spend each week! TMNT is expensive, so after you've put in on one screen, you don't have enough left over to get Captain America too. That's why it's no longer available.
Note that you can always 'sell' TMNT if you want to get your $ back and try other lineups. Just rollover the movie on your screens, and you'll see the option to remove it (which puts the $ back in your bank).Jun 1, 2016, 9:10am PDT
I tried $750 and then $108 which only equals $858 yet my 1st pick also disappears. HELP!Jun 1, 2016, 9:15am PDT