PBO Actuals Coming In, Refreshening commences

@the_hersh · The Hersh
May 9, 2016, 8:45am PDT

According to Monday morning reports, things aren't quite as certain as they were yesterday. A supposed softer Sunday than expected for Civil War with an apparent very strong Sunday for Mother's Day has flipped the script.

But nothing's official until we see those final numbers.

Begin refreshing........Now.

68 Replies

• Reply #1
    @the_hersh · The Hersh
    May 9, 2016, 8:45am PDT
  • Reply #2

I love to hear that because (1) that could swing the PC to what I have, but mostly because (2) there were a lot of Sunday CW players celebrating pretty early this week.

@user3wojqx · The Hero FML Deserves
    May 9, 2016, 8:55am PDT
  • Reply #3

$2m discrepancy between ProBoxOffice & The Numbers. Wonder which one of the 2 is correct?

@user3konmq · Aeatherion's Odeum
    May 9, 2016, 8:56am PDT
  • Reply #4

Hopefully the Numbers. But I've seen that 11MM figure reported a couple other places and the 9MM is what everyone was projecting yesterday. Looks like its up to CW to come in higher.

@the_hersh · The Hersh
    May 9, 2016, 9:02am PDTEdited
  • Reply #5

That Mother's Day number is a big one. That may have put a nail in Sunday's coffin, as much as that pains me to say. Sunday now needs to be $44+ million to even have a shot. Edit: Assuming the MD number is correct, of course.

@user2oaeev · That's not a Knife...
    May 9, 2016, 9:04am PDTEdited
  • Reply #6

Yeah. I'll be fine with it. I think I made my picks for the right reasons. But sometimes the right reasons don't lead to the best results. Oh well.

But hey, it's nice to have a Monday with a little drama where everything isn't a foregone conclusion.

@the_hersh · The Hersh
    May 9, 2016, 9:12am PDT
  • Reply #7

Yeah, as much as it seemed likely that MD was going to do well, I don't think anyone predicted a 32% increase over its opening weekend. My thinking was a 0% drop and I thought I was potentially being too aggressive.

I'm with you, being wrong for the right reasons lessens the blow at least a bit.

@user2oaeev · That's not a Knife...
    May 9, 2016, 9:19am PDT
  • Reply #8

I think that the Mother's Day weekend gross was the most surprising one I've seen since I joined FML, definitely didn't see it coming, really thought that the 6-6.5 estimates were too high.

346K value for MD this weekend, second highest ever and only 14K below Pitch Perfect (360K) in FML's opening weekend, and 76K higher than 3rd place.

@ccr · CCR
    May 9, 2016, 9:28am PDTEdited
  • Reply #9

@ John Fogerty

This is pretty impressive, but Daddy's Home still haunts me to this day.

@angrygeek · Angry Geek
    May 9, 2016, 9:32am PDTEdited
  • Reply #10

Im not surprised by Mother's Day. Moms LOVE Julia Roberts. Many people probably waited until Mother's Day to see it.

@ingy · Inglourious Basterd
    May 9, 2016, 9:34am PDT
Add Reply