Input Needed: Phil's Showtime Report Zip Codes + Radius

@fmlnerd · FML Nerd
Apr 19, 2016, 2:50pm PDT

Howdy,

As I mentioned in Phil's Wednesday Fandango thread last week, I'm building an automation that will cover showtimes the top 30-40 Nielsen cities instead of just Louisville, KY like the program I wrote for Phil does now. Here's the first 10 cities this new automation will cover and I'm looking for feedback on the zip code I picked for each and the radius I picked, in miles.

Generally speaking, I picked the zip code of city hall and 25 miles, but made some choices based on specifics of individual locations (ie: I chose the DFW airport for the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and chose a smaller radius for Washington DC so it wouldn't overlap later with Baltimore).

If you have a strong opinion on these, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Here's the raw data:

{<br/>        "name": "New York",<br/>        "zip": "10007",<br/>        "radius": "25",<br/>        "notes": "Zip of city hall"<br/>    },<br/>    {<br/>        "name": "Los Angeles",<br/>        "zip": "90012",<br/>        "radius": "50",<br/>        "notes": "Zip of city hall"<br/>    },<br/>    {<br/>        "name": "Chicago",<br/>        "zip": "60602",<br/>        "radius": "25",<br/>        "notes": "Zip of city hall"<br/>    },<br/>    {<br/>        "name": "Philadelphia",<br/>        "zip": "19107",<br/>        "radius": "25",<br/>        "notes": "Zip of city hall"<br/>    },<br/>    {<br/>        "name": "Dallas/Ft. Worth",<br/>        "zip": "75261",<br/>        "radius": "25",<br/>        "notes": "Zip of DFW"<br/>    },<br/>    {<br/>        "name": "SF/SJ/Oak",<br/>        "zip": "94621",<br/>        "radius": "25",<br/>        "notes": "Zip of OAK"<br/>    },<br/>    {<br/>        "name": "Washington DC",<br/>        "zip": "20500",<br/>        "radius": "20",<br/>        "notes": "Zip of White House"<br/>    },<br/>    {<br/>        "name": "Boston",<br/>        "zip": "02201",<br/>        "radius": "25",<br/>        "notes": "Zip of city hall"<br/>    },<br/>    {<br/>        "name": "Atlanta",<br/>        "zip": "30303",<br/>        "radius": "25",<br/>        "notes": "Zip of city hall"<br/>    },<br/>    {<br/>        "name": "Houston",<br/>        "zip": "77002",<br/>        "radius": "25",<br/>        "notes": "Zip of city hall"<br/>    }<br/>

56 Replies

• Reply #1

Thumbs up for ATL. Go Hawks.

@hammock · No Plex Zone
    Apr 19, 2016, 2:56pm PDT
  • Reply #2

Hey 19107 is near me

Ain't that cool

@steve · STEVE
    Apr 19, 2016, 2:57pm PDT
  • Reply #3

That Chicago zip code is the Loop and may not be the best example since most of those surrounding buildings are offices. Let me see if I can get you something in a more populated area.

@angrygeek · Angry Geek
    Apr 19, 2016, 2:57pm PDT
  • Reply #4

Wait Geek lives in chicago

@steve · STEVE
    Apr 19, 2016, 2:58pm PDT
  • Reply #5

@Geek - Any suggestions on Chicago are welcomed. Keep in mind the radius, so it just needs to be central and then some distance out. For LA, for example, I chose city hall because it's in the middle of downtown and there's concrete jungle 50 miles in any direction that considers itself part of the LA metro area.

@fmlnerd · FML Nerd
    Apr 19, 2016, 4:11pm PDT
  • Reply #6

For SF, 94621 is just a small area on the East Bay, not significant for that area and across the bridge from the city...if you want urban SF and /or Oakland (which two areas are distinct), one zip will b difficult, but I wouldn't use this one anyway.

@user4d9y6w · Not Ready#InFromTheCold
    Apr 19, 2016, 4:24pm PDT
  • Reply #7

94110 is the Mission District in SF, that's probably a bigger pool to pull from.

@20thcentury_flops · 20th Century Flops
    Apr 19, 2016, 4:38pm PDT
  • Reply #8

90012 looks good for LA, that's the heart of downtown.

@20thcentury_flops · 20th Century Flops
    Apr 19, 2016, 4:38pm PDT
  • Reply #9

If you'd like to include Seattle, Washington you can use 98198 +40miles to get the Seattle/Tacoma area and grab a broad range of demographics.

@the_fezig · Hot Fez
    Apr 19, 2016, 4:46pm PDT
  • Reply #10

97201 will get you Portland and its suburbs.

@jack · I was Jack's Cineplex
    Apr 19, 2016, 4:51pm PDT
Add Reply