Wednesday Fandango Check - Spring Season Week 7

@phils_phun_phlicks · Phil's Phun Phlicks!
Apr 13, 2016, 6:19am PDT

Let's take a look at how things are shaping up locally. This is for the Louisville, KY area which has eight first-run theaters of sizes 8-20 screens...

The Jungle Book - 8 Locations, 108 Total Showings, 50 3D Showings, 21 IMAX/PLF Showings
Barbershop - 7 Locations, 48 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings
The Boss - 8 Locations, 55 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 14.1% of total showings
Batman v Superman - 8 Locations, 46 Total Showings, 16 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 37.0% of total showings
Zootopia - 8 Locations, 46 Total Showings, 10 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 16.4% of total showings
Criminal - 8 Locations, 40 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 - 6 Locations, 26 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 35.0% of total showings
Miracles From Heaven - 6 Locations, 27 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, No change in total showings
Hardcore Henry - 7 Locations, 28 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 37.8% of total showings
God's Not Dead 2 - 3 Locations, 8 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 72.4% of total showings
Divergent: Allegiant - 6 Locations, 18 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 37.9% of total showings
Eye in the Sky - 2 Locations, 9 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 60.9% of total showings
10 Cloverfield Lane - 4 Locations, 16 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 27.3% of total showings
Deadpool - 4 Locations, 10 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 58.3% of total showings
Hello, My Name is Doris - 1 Locations, 3 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 81.3% of total showings

Some notes...

• I think M37 hypothesized that Jungle Book would have more shows than Zootopia's opening weekend. He was correct in that assertion.
  • For the most part, the smaller movies originally filling the blockbuster void appear to be pushed out, with EitS & Doris contracting big time.
  • GND2 also getting dumped very quickly now that Lent is over.
  • Finally, it appears to be our last week with Deadpool. Fare thee well, old friend.

21 Replies

• Reply #1

As always, thanks for the post Phil.
    I find it interesting that GND2 lost 72% while MFH lost none. Zootopia held strong too.

@seanshank_redemption · Kiss My Blarney Stone! ◬
    Apr 13, 2016, 6:25am PDT
  • Reply #2

@Phil Do you have info on how does HH compare to Burnt or Secret in their Eyes week 2?

@ccr · CCR
    Apr 13, 2016, 6:53am PDT
  • Reply #3

B/c I'm insane, I actually remember. It did have one theater with a split, which was a bit more like SitE. Burnt got a full alottment everywhere in its second weekend.

Apr 13, 2016, 6:57am PDT
  • Reply #4

Yep, that was my expectation for Jungle Book. Though I wouldn't read too much into the fact that its getting 16% more shows. I believe Zootopia was a bit under-screend for the business it did, and with less out in the market (and even less coming the next 2 weeks), I guessed that JB would get more.

Also, I'll say it now, I bet it loses a good 20%+ of those shows for next weekend.

@Sean - I've said this before, but usually on the 1st week when there is direct competition, you don't see a preemptive strike whereby Zootopia would lose a lot of shows. Its more of a wait and see approach, if JB does impact it, you'll see a big reduction next week. KFP3 lost like 60% of its shows the week after Zootopia came out.

@user2rarz3 · M37: And like that *poof* he's gone ...
    Apr 13, 2016, 7:44am PDT
  • Reply #5

Also, Phil - not sure who should be more nervous about our board bet this week (probably me)

@user2rarz3 · M37: And like that *poof* he's gone ...
    Apr 13, 2016, 7:45am PDT
  • Reply #6

Great work as always Phil. Thanks old friend!

@angrygeek · Angry Geek
    Apr 13, 2016, 7:55am PDT
  • Reply #7

Look forward to this every week Phil. It's a great look at the inner workings of theater operators. I'm pretty surprised at that GND2 loss as compared to Miracles. Makes me pretty wary of playing that as a filler now.

Hey, I know this feature is a lot of work to put together but what are the chances of expanding it beyond your own area? I'd love to see how these numbers compare to other larger markets around the country, so we can get an idea of whether the data you're looking at is part of a national trend or if its specific to your market. Just throwing that out there, but I don't want to make more work for you!

@20thcentury_flops · 20th Century Flops
    Apr 14, 2016, 8:00am PDT
  • Reply #8

I told myself if Hardcore Henry had the most showings of any of the cheaper films, I would use it as my filler this week. Time for Henry's revenge.

@protagonist · The Force A-Nathan-s
    Apr 14, 2016, 9:49am PDT
  • Reply #9

I appreciate this weekly post so much, thanks for putting it together Phil. Theater counts give some ideas of how things are shaping up, but they don't tell you have many times a film is showing at any particular theater. I'm betting if I went on theater counts alone, Doris would look like a reasonable play over Deadpool, but seeing Doris is losing 80% of showings is pretty rough and has me leaning back towards Deadpool.

That being said, Flops got me interested. A very quick look at Fandango in my area (West LA/South Bay) shows 17 shows times for Deadpool on Friday, and 34 for Doris. I have no idea how that compares to last week, but I'm guessing we probably have more "art-house" theaters in LA and Doris may be thriving there still...

Also, for what it's worth, that same area has 501 showings of Junglebook on Friday. There are 202 showing of Barbershop.

@user365j72 · Mara's Midnight Movie Madness
    Apr 14, 2016, 9:55am PDTEdited
  • Reply #10

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Of all the things I do on this site, this one remains my favorite.

@Flops - I always like it when I see other people post their local times in here too. I've thought at times about trying to determine what cities would give the best representation of the entire picture. For example, I imagine that Lexington, KY or Nashville would be pretty similar to Louisville and therefore not too enlightening. In terms of the automation expanding, you'd have to talk to FML Nerd about that one, but I know he was lucky just to get this one added in.

Apr 14, 2016, 9:57am PDT
Add Reply