Wednesday Fandango Check - Spring Season Week 6

@phils_phun_phlicks · Phil's Phun Phlicks!
Apr 6, 2016, 6:23am PDTEdited

Here's how things are shaping up locally...

Batman v Superman - 8 Locations, 73 Total Showings, 26 3D Showings, 10 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 39.2% of total showings
The Boss - 8 Locations, 64 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 7 IMAX/PLF Showings
Zootopia - 8 Locations, 55 Total Showings, 12 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 11.3% of total showings
Hardcore Henry - 7 Locations, 45 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 6 IMAX/PLF Showings
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 - 8 Locations, 40 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 13.0% of total showings
Miracles From Heaven - 6 Locations, 27 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 20.6% of total showings
God's Not Dead 2 - 7 Locations, 29 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 14.7% of total showings
Divergent: Allegiant - 7 Locations, 29 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 12.1% of total showings
10 Cloverfield Lane - 5 Locations, 22 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 26.7% of total showings
Eye in the Sky - 5 Locations, 23 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 4.2% of total showings
Demolition - 4 Locations, 19 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings
Deadpool - 6 Locations, 24 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 11.1% of total showings
Meet The Blacks - 6 Locations, 30 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 3.2% of total showings
Hello, My Name is Doris - 4 Locations, 16 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 15.8% of total showings
London Has Fallen - 2 Locations, 3 Total Showings, 0 3D Showings, 0 IMAX/PLF Showings, Loss of 82.4% of total showings

Just a few notes...

• Did you want to see London Has Fallen? You may want to do so by Thursday, as it's being virtually wiped off the map here.
  • Hardcore Henry taking a good deal of PLF screens from BvS. It's total local allotment looks pretty close to what Gods of Egypt got back in February.

10 Replies

• Reply #1

I was telling my buddy to stay FAR AWAY from LFH. My early numbers produced that as my 8th screen so I quickly adjusted to avoid it like the plague.

@angrygeek · Angry Geek
    Apr 6, 2016, 6:41am PDT
  • Reply #2

Yup I had it three times in my lineup. It is now completely gone.

Apr 6, 2016, 6:44am PDT
  • Reply #3

Surprised at Allegiant's number, expected a decent loss of theatres. A question Phil, does Eye in the Sky not adding theatres in your area make a big expansion (To 1,500 theatres or so) a long shot?

@ccr · CCR
    Apr 6, 2016, 7:05am PDT
  • Reply #4

@cc - not a longshot b/c it's already pretty saturated here. If there is a big expansion, that could indicate new territories, which puts it in BP favoritism if that happens.

Apr 6, 2016, 7:36am PDT
  • Reply #5

@CC - Phil beat me to it, but since I'm already typing ... Adding 6th theater (out of 8) in this market would be the kind of expansion that probably wouldn't benefit it in terms of box office gross. That would be similar to Big Short on the Jan 8th weekend.
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=bigshort.htm

However (and I have NO confirmation of this), I am expecting an expansion. Last year Helen Mirren was in another picture that had a second increase this time of year after doing fairly well in its foray into the 1000+ club:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=womaningold.htm

Different studio obviously, but more of a strike while the iron is hot mentality.

@user2rarz3 · M37: And like that *poof* he's gone ...
    Apr 6, 2016, 7:47am PDT
  • Reply #6

@Phil Thanks, I expected that to be the answer, but wanted to confirm.

@M37 That's exactly the comp that had me thinking an expansion to 1,500 could be in the cards

@ccr · CCR
    Apr 6, 2016, 7:50am PDT
  • Reply #7

So just glancing at my market for comparison, HH is not getting any of the premium theaters. BVS keeps the Imax and 3D screens. Just one screen at each theater.

10CL is dropping down significantly to 2 showings per day at each theater. While DP loses a few showings...

Demolition has a full slate at 2 theaters, while EITS only has one (of the three) theater showing it.

MFH and Allegiant both hold 1 full screen at all three theaters.

@hmg · Hoosier Movie Guy
    Apr 6, 2016, 8:21am PDT
  • Reply #8

Thanks Hoosier!

Missed one theater's PLF count, so updated accordingly. Why is The Boss getting PLF showings?!

Apr 6, 2016, 9:49am PDTEdited
  • Reply #9

Yeah but do Bruce Springsteen and/or Tony Danza make cameos in the new Melissa McCarthy movie

@angrygeek · Angry Geek
    Apr 6, 2016, 10:38am PDT
  • Reply #10

I never understood why you would want to see a comedy in 3D or premium format unless it's action based like Pixels or something (first thing that came to mind). I generally don't rush to theaters to see a comedy regardless unless it happens organically (rainy day, change of pace on vacation, etc).

@hmg · Hoosier Movie Guy
    Apr 6, 2016, 12:17pm PDT
Add Reply