Star Wars: The Last Jedi AUDIENCE Score - Thoughts?

@bowser · Bowser's Theater of Love
Dec 15, 2017, 9:13am PST

[12/15, 11 AM] AUDIENCE SCORE 60%
Average Rating: 3.5/5
User Ratings: 60,342

I'm going to post some thoughts from my initial reaction. (Went to the 7:30 show last night) :: SPOILER WARNING ::

First: I am a massive, loyal Star Wars fan. I have been since childhood.
I wore a lot of Star Wars apparel last night. My office and bedroom have Star Wars decorations aplenty.

It was a pretty good movie.

But, this is the first time I've ever left a theater for a Star Wars movie and felt disappointed.

I don't want to be completely negative... But, here are some issues that stuck out to me.

First -- The ending.
It felt like Disney just hit a reset button to make more money. We are even further from a conclusion to these Character's story arch.

So, one of the themes was... There will ALWAYS be good versus bad... Wrong vs right. Light vs dark.
Okay, I understand that. Thanks.

SNOKE -- WHO IS HE?? What was that?
Who was his master?
How did he come to power??????

Why was there this ultimate Sith that seemingly came out of nowhere, and ZERO light was shed on his story...? We got NOTHING on Snoke. No closure. Kylo Ren just got to kill him...
Which was cool, and unexpected... Probably the highlight of the film for me...

But, WTF, nothing on why he was so powerful, or how he came to be? No clues on his master?
Just... Weird to me.

Finn -- Wow.
I can't believe how bored I was with Finn's storyline.

Nothing about following Finn around was enjoyable for me. He really felt like some pointless subplot to pass time. I just... Didn't expect that.
"Filler Finn"
I was literally bored with Finn. Every time he was on the screen, I was anxious for the characters I care about to come back.

Luke sort of got a disappointing exit from the franchise. I'm glad he was at peace at the end... But, sheesh.

He's just gone now?

They did a good job of re-booting this existing world... And leaving a WIDE open door for future generations of Star Wars fans...

Maybe I'm too attached to the original characters.
This trilogy of trilogies has always been about the Skywalker family.
It is odd to me that Ben Solo and Leia are the only ones left.

And.... of all the generations of Jedi/Sith we've followed.... Kylo Ren has got to be the weakest Sith. He's so vulnerable.
Rey is so raw. She's all that's left of the Jedi, with no master to continue her minimal training. Very odd to me.

But... Maybe that's the point.

Kylo Ren is what young Vader should have been.

There were bright spots in the movie.
I loved Rey going to Kylo... I loved the showdown with Kylo/Rey/Snoke.
I wish we would have got answers about Snoke.

And now... Episode 9 -- It will be this new seed of a Resistance trying to bring down Kylo's "New Order." They have one movie to wrap up this Skywalker Trilogy of Trilogies.

I love Star Wars. I will be there. I'll go see The Last Jedi again...
I'm just... baffled by my own disappointment.

I became attached to Jyn Erso and Cassian Andor in Rogue One.
Rogue One's ending was incredible.

I don't want to know any more about Finn. It's weird to me. I still feel like Finn has only ever been driven by two things: A crush on Rey, and revenge on the First Order.

In moments of "doing the right thing," he'd run, bail, escape.
I thought him sacrificing at the end would be his redeeming moment. I don't know. I'm oddly anti-Finn right now. He's not a representative of the Resistance to me. Haha.

I might have had too high of expectations.
It was still a good movie, I enjoyed it... I'm just really confused and a bit let down.

I think they're trying to send a message of "hope," but I am now feeling hopeless like this FIGHT, this WAR, has to go on forever.

And, that might be the point... There will always be bad, always be darkness, that we have to fight. The fight never stops to do the right thing.

So, the next movie will be Kylo's New Order nearly destroying the Resistance ... They'll have their backs against the wall the whole time.

We, as the audience, will be told to never give up hope.... Don't succumb to an "evil" dictatorship.

Good guys will prevail at the end. Cue the theme song.

Rey's parents/line have nothing to do with anything. Reminder that any random kid can be born with gifts. (Or, Kylo lied and we get a surprise in 9)

No clue how after killing Emperor Palpatine and Vader turning back to the light side -- There is suddenly an all-powerful Sith Master of Snoke who builds a "First Order" and essentially has control of the galaxy just like The Empire... :: shrugs ::

It's worth going to in theaters… But, I understand why some people are let down. There are a lot of plot holes I didn't touch on, I just focused on what initially stuck out to me. 

What did everyone else think??

110 Replies

• Reply #101

[UPDATE] 2:20 PM on 12/26/17

AUDIENCE SCORE 52%
    Average Rating: 3.1/5
    User Ratings: 151,260

Dec 26, 2017, 12:24pm PST
  • Reply #102

I was kinda disappointed as well with finding out who Rey's parents were. I thought that she was either going to somehow be Kylo's long lost sister, a Kenobe, or an offspring of Chancellor Palpatine that he may not have known about. But to find out that she was just a daughter of junk traders was just downright disappointing. Overall not a bad movie though. I think I need to see it again to pick up on some smaller details.

@user45889x · hmkuehner's Cineplex
    Dec 27, 2017, 7:39am PST
  • Reply #103

Great post, @VadersDieHard.

One thing though...
    "Since Jedi are not allowed "attachments" (outside of Anakin) no padawan children came from Jedi apprentice or masters. I think the point is anyone can have the power, whether from lineage or just because."

The first part would have held true in pre-A New Hope days... However, there's no real structure in place for Jedi at this point. Luke was -supposed- to be the last remaining formal "Jedi" that we are aware of. The rules of Jedi not conceiving children has sort of been out the window for a while now.

However, completely agree... The point is: ANYONE can be born force-sensitive.

Agreed, @Hmkuehner.

It's also disappointing that we get absolutely NOTHING on the Knights of Ren.
    After what TFA set up, what on earth happened to Kylo's companions. They referenced and showed clips of "The Knights of Ren." Surely they're either still around, or something worth showing happened to them.

In the spirit of Star Wars, I started reading:
    Heir to the Empire (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, Vol. 1)

Wow. First 15 chapters have been dynamite. Thrawn is a compelling character and an excellent villain. So many great characters so far, can't wait to continue. Hoping to knock out all three in the trilogy to start the year.

Anyone else read any of the old Star Wars Legends books?

Dec 27, 2017, 7:59am PST
  • Reply #104

At lot of the Legends material isn't that great, but agreed on Thrawn. He's even showed up as a villain in the Rebels tv show on Disney XD and is fantastic.

As for the Knights of Ren, it's a big galaxy and TLJ occurs a short time after TFA. Now that Kylo is in control, you bet that they'll be back

@skeptical_julius · Skeptical Julius
    Dec 27, 2017, 8:14am PST
  • Reply #105

I got excited when I saw @Furiosa responded. :)

I hope you're right. JJ will get to play with the Knights of Ren in Episode IX.

I had only ever read two of the Star Wars Expanded Universe/Star Wars Legends entries. I can't remember what they were... But, I didn't plan very well as a teenager. I think I read one from the X-Wing series, and a random one-off about Wedge.

Did some research about what SWEU books are "must-reads."

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/thrawn-new-dawn-we-count-down-31-best-star-wars-books

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/books-comics/star-wars/246066/star-wars-great-legends-stories-you-should-read

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-10-best-stories-in-the-star-wars-expanded-universe-1574103684

They all put the Thrawn Trilogy at #1.
    I'm understanding why...

My uncle read literally EVERY SINGLE SWEU entry up until "The New Jedi Order." There are some eggs in there I hear, not sure how he got through it...

Dec 27, 2017, 8:19am PST
  • Reply #106

I think they should have borrowed more from Dark Apprentice in the EU in regard to Luke/Ren/Snoke than what they gave us. That was a great story.

@ingy · Inglourious Basterd
    Dec 27, 2017, 9:18am PST
  • Reply #107

You a big fan of The Jedi Academy Trilogy, Ingy??

Those three are now on my to-read list. :P

What's the second-best journey to take after The Thrawn Trilogy?

Dec 27, 2017, 4:03pm PST
  • Reply #108

[UPDATE] 9:25 AM on 12/28/17

AUDIENCE SCORE 51%
    User Ratings: 156,479

Dec 28, 2017, 7:25am PST
  • Reply #109

[UPDATE] 1/2/18 9:10 AM

AUDIENCE SCORE 50%
    User Ratings: 164,622

Jan 2, 2018, 7:11am PST
  • Reply #110

Ok, I've actually wanted to talk about this in detail for a minute. The fans that do not like this movie are actually the hardcore Star Wars fans. The reason being the Expanded Universe. The books about what happened after return of the Jedi have made people sort of bias to what happens in these movies. Also if you grow attached to any character and some new director or new writer comes in and keeps writing that character of course fans are gonna have a problem. We all feel like we are on the same level as these Directors because we are all fans of the original so whatever happens as fans we will always feel we could have done better.

@cinefox · Cinefox 20
    Jan 2, 2018, 9:35am PST
Add Reply