BSA - Awards Season Week 8: "Founder To Flounder In Your Cineplex!"

@bswhite · BSwhite's Spoonful Of Sugarplex
Jan 18, 2017, 10:49am PSTEdited

Good Wednesday all, BS here with your Awards Season Week 8 BSA! First a recap of last week, which saw anyone screening Silence, coming down with a bad case of laryngitis, as it failed to be a BP factor, and wasn't even close to being a part of the PC. As predicted, if given the choice between Fences and Silence, Fences was the way to go, finishing well over $1 mil ahead of Silence. This brings the overall success rate of the BSA up to 55 for 63 (87.30%).

A quick note - This week's BSA marks the 52nd week of providing this valuable (hopefully) service to the FMLverse! Next week, we celebrate the 1 year anniversary of the BSA! So, what better way to end our 1st year, then by advising against the same studio that we advised against with our 1st ever BSA. So, for Awards Week 8, the BSA advises against:

THE FOUNDER

Let's look at some of the reasons why Ronald McDonald won't be having the PC their way this week:

STUDIO: Hello, we have another release from the Dumpster Fire Weinstein Company! YES, the very same company who released Jane Got A Gun, the 1st movie to ever receive the BSA advisory! The Weinstein Company has been a disaster for pretty much every movie its released over the last 2 years. Here's a rundown of some of Weinstein's losers in the last 1-2 years:

Hands Of Stone
Jane Got A Gun
The Hateful Eight
Carol
Burnt
No Escape

The one bright spot during this timeframe was Lion, and more so successful in FML purposes only, as its only made about $14 mil in total Box Office.
As a result - anything that has the Weinstein name attached to it, I consider to automatically be damaged goods, and too high of a risk to gamble on.

COMPETITION: I said this last week with Silence, and I will say it again this week with The Founder, there is too much competition for "Awards" type movies right now. In particular, You've got Hidden Figures and La La Land monopolizing most of that audience. There just isn't any room for another Awards type movie to shine.

RELEASE DATE: Another red flag, and admittedly part of it has to do with Weinstein and their propensity to scrap release dates, and move them all over the place. The Founder was originally going to get released Thanksgiving weekend, then moved to August 2016?!? and then delayed back to late December, and the final wider release this weekend. I don't consider that to be a positive, although it can be reasoned that Weinstein might have wanted to give The Founder some breathing room, away from the other Awards contenders ( I might be giving Weinstein too much credit for that way of thinking!)

AWARDS BUZZ: I don't hear any buzzing, do you?? I'm sure Michael Keaton does a fine Ray Kroc, but that's all getting lost in the shuffle of HF and LLL, and even MBTS, Moonlight and Fences to an extent. Trying to shout above the noise from all of those worthy contenders is daunting (just ask Silence!)

CONCLUSION: There will be no PC toy inside your Cineplex Happy Meal this week if you screen The Founder. McDonalds may be the Golden Arches, but they won't be sporting the all important BP badge come Monday. As always, good luck!

25 Replies

• Reply #1

Currently, almost 1/3 of FML is Hamburgling their Cineplex (32.2%).

Jan 18, 2017, 10:49am PSTEdited
  • Reply #2

I was wondering what you were cooking up since the BSA was slightly late. Fears relieved, good job. I have no idea why this is being released right now

@furiosa · Furiosa
    Jan 18, 2017, 10:51am PST
  • Reply #3

The Drive-through window was jammed, and one of the fryers was on the fritz.

Jan 18, 2017, 10:53am PST
  • Reply #4

BSWhite,
    I love your weekly BSA but think you missed a golden(arches) opportunity with the title for this week's entry.

"The Founder. I'm Not Loving It".

@vondruke · Judean People's Front Theatres
    Jan 18, 2017, 10:55am PSTEdited
  • Reply #5

Holy sh*t that would have been so good

@furiosa · Furiosa
    Jan 18, 2017, 10:56am PST
  • Reply #6

The Founder has a shot at WP in my estimation. Solid BSA!

@backseatdirecting · BackseatDirecting
    Jan 18, 2017, 10:56am PST
  • Reply #7

Great title Starfighter! I wish I could change it to that now (and give you full credit for it!), but I can't edit thread headers :(

Jan 18, 2017, 10:59am PST
  • Reply #8

Lowest hanging of the fruit for sure, but 32%? That's a puzzling number.

@phils_phun_phlicks · Phil's Phun Phlicks!
    Jan 18, 2017, 11:14am PST
  • Reply #9

Like I said elsewhere. I liked the trailer. I will go see it. But I know I'm in a tiny minority so there's no way I'm playing it.

@inkslinger · InkSlinger
    Jan 18, 2017, 11:15am PST
  • Reply #10

You know how they suggest other item when you ordering at McD. If you order this. The only thing you getting is a side of S H * T; supersize! Lol

@askdablkdude · " I know a guy who know a guy" (KOTRT)
    Jan 18, 2017, 11:29am PST
Add Reply