T-Mobile Promotion

@user3wwz53 · jrt409's Cineplex
Aug 2, 2016, 5:34am PDT

Since T-Mobile gave a free ticket to suicide squad to every one of its customers to use on Friday, does anyone know how this affects B.O.? The theatres would have to count this towards revenue, right?

16 Replies

• Reply #1

According to this article
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.androidheadlines.com/2016/07/t-mobile-customers-can-see-suicide-squad-free.html/amp?client=safari

"It will come in the form of a $13 Fandango credit to be spent on one ticket for Suicide Squad."

Which means while free to the user (unless their ticket is more than the $13 anyway), it will count as revenue for the studio since the ticket is being "bought".

@user2rarz3 · M37: And like that *poof* he's gone ...
    Aug 2, 2016, 5:49am PDT
  • Reply #2

And obviously it's only counted as revenue IF that credit gets spent.

@irrational_numbers · Miraclemet (IOU)
    Aug 2, 2016, 5:51am PDT
  • Reply #3

Ugh I'm away on Friday :(

@ari · Ari's Amphitheater of Moving Pictures
    Aug 2, 2016, 5:54am PDT
  • Reply #4

it doesnt have to be spent on friday. I have mine booked for Saturday

Scratch that... That is what i did last time, but it is making me go on friday :'( wo is me... lol

@user4j55ml · The Master's 8
    Aug 2, 2016, 5:55am PDTEdited
  • Reply #5

So, just the act of a customer redeeming the ticket through Fandango does NOT count towards the movie's revenue, but once they physically show up at the movie theater then it's added? Is that how everyone is reading this? Just a little fuzzy on when exactly the $10-13 goes in to Warner Bros.' pockets. I don't know how big of a difference this can make but it is interesting. I was probably going to wait a few weeks to see it but since I'm a T-Mobile customer I guess I might as well go Friday.

@user3kek59 · Hot Dog
    Aug 2, 2016, 6:14am PDTEdited
  • Reply #6

Right. And since I HAVE to go on Friday, this is going to skyrocket the Friday totals when combined with previews Thursday, right? That's how I am seeing this.

@user3wwz53 · jrt409's Cineplex
    Aug 2, 2016, 6:16am PDT
  • Reply #7

I don't think it matters whether you show up, once the Fandango transaction is complete WB has that $. But just getting the T-mobile coupon and not using it wouldn't have any effect (again, I assume).

Interesting though that they are making this for Friday only. Does the studio believe SS is going to have good WOM and want to get as many people in early as possible?

@user2rarz3 · M37: And like that *poof* he's gone ...
    Aug 2, 2016, 6:57am PDT
  • Reply #8

They may actually be worried about WOM; as a carnival barker who happens to be running for president recently noted: any publicity is good. If the Thursday WOM is likely to be less than stellar, it serves them to create the appearance that tons of people are going no matter the critics' and others' opinion. They are likely hoping this will influence Saturday and Sunday numbers in spite of the movie being sub-par.

Or, M, you could be spot on ;^}

@user4d9y6w · Not Ready#InFromTheCold
    Aug 2, 2016, 7:11am PDT
  • Reply #9

I just bought 4 tickets for friday night (one of which was free thanks to T-Mobile) and it was almost sold out... i have to sit on the 4th row =(

@user4j55ml · The Master's 8
    Aug 2, 2016, 7:31am PDT
  • Reply #10

I honestly think this won't affect box office that much. Unless ur getting a free phone for paying to see the movie, but it's just a free ticket if u have a phone. Most people that want to see the movie are gonna pay for it. This isn't a movie in which someone is gonna see just so they don't have to pay for it

@steve · STEVE
    Aug 2, 2016, 7:32am PDT
Add Reply