Fri Survey - Film Prologues
1). List 3-5 of your favorite prologues.
2) G vs K - Which one is your favorite?
3) Recommend another film beast.
4) Opening Day - Are you a fan of any baseball teams and/or players?
5) Name your favorite baseball movie.
Answer any or all. Have fun with it.
For #1, one of my favorites is in Seabiscuit. It starts off with the beginnings of the Model T, then to a bike shop then to car repair, a fortune made in cars leading to buying a large farm with stables. Then the Great Depression hits. And so the horse story begins . . .
I'm watching the Ten Commandments, at the 2 1/2 hour mark Moses is just starting to discover his Jewish roots. "Bored now.." If Michael Bay remade this film the Red Sea would part at an hour and a half and 2 pyramids would have already exploded. But I digress.
1). Field of Dreams - Costner's character talks about being raised by a stern single dad, who was almost a major leaguer and ends with, "I love my family, I love baseball and I just bought a farm but until I heard the Voice I never did a crazy thing in my life."
Fellowship of the Ring - My first thought was, "They just blew their whole budget on the prologue."
Terminator - Futuristic tanks crush human skulls and a simple concise text explains, ". . . but the final battle would not be fought in the future. It would be fought here in our present. Tonight . . ."
Cabin in the Woods - Bradley Whitford and Richard Jenkins are riding in a slow cart, talking office politics with Amy Acker. I turned to my son, "Are we in the right theater?". Turns out that Drew Goddard in the commentary said this was the reaction he wanted from the audience. Well played, sir.
2). Godzilla, he's always willing to fight when the earth is threatened. Kong is happy just living on Skull Island till the humans (always) remove him.
3) Toss up between Frankenstein and Creature of the Black Lagoon. Both are just looking for love.
4) I'm a life long fan of the Giants and I actively follow the Twins. In my youth I was a fan of McCovey and Clemente. For current players I like Buster Posey and find Acuna Jr fun.
5) Eight Men Out. HM to Field of Dreams and Major League.Apr 3, 2021, 9:25pm PDT
1) Fellowship of the Ring. That's all I've got
2) Godzilla rules. I liked the old movies that featured Smog Monster and Jet Jaguar when I was a kid.
4) Go Tigers!
5) The NaturalApr 4, 2021, 6:37pm PDT
- I generally dislike prologues, though they're easier to swallow in films than in books. Fellowship obvious has a balling prologue and, really, an extremely necessary prologue or else you'd sit there wondering why the F&CK people are so much about a piece of jewelery.
The prologue to A History of Violence is chilling and gives the catalyst Diner Scene so much underlying meaning and tension.
Continuing with Stephen McHattie, he did the VO work for the opening montage of BASEketball, which is arguably the best part of the film. "The Minnesota Lakers moved to Los Angeles where there are no lakes. The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil. The Jazz moved to Utah where they don't allow music. The Raiders went from Oakland to L.A. and back to Oakland; no one seemed to notice."
And a shoutout to The Lion King with Circle of Life and Simba's birth. It is one of the most iconic scenes in modern film history, without a lick of dialogue too.
- I prefer the letter K.
- Blue Jays baby! Bat flip in the face!
Apr 5, 2021, 1:06am PDT
- Probably Bull Durham. Moneyball is great too.
1...Conan the Barbarian
Outlaw Josey Wells
Star Wars A new Hope
2... Kong unless he's fighting Godzilla
4...I don't follow baseball much anymore but I looking forward to Wrestle Mania :-)
5... The NaturalApr 8, 2021, 7:59pm PDT