Friday Survey - Edit This!

@kevin · Satellite of Love (SOL) (R)
May 29, 2020, 10:14am PDT

1). Which film adaptation is closest to the book?
2). Recommend a Director's Cut of a film.
3). Which Director's Cut missed the mark?
4). What's your favorite musical score to a film?
5). Which special effects scene looks dated now?

Answer any or all. Have fun with it.

Thank you again for the topic suggestions which this week's survey is based on.

8 Replies

• Reply #1

Which film adaptation is closest to the book? - I can tell you a thousand that aren't. Lol. Most Nicholas Sparks ones have been pretty spot on. (Ready Player One is the most recent I can think of that totally isn't)
    2). Recommend a Director's Cut of a film. - That Thing You Do - please, if you love the movie, watch the directors cut. It adds sooooo much more awesomeness.
    3). Which Director's Cut missed the mark? - any LoTR. Sooo long!!!!!
    4). What's your favorite musical score to a film? Hmm.....Atonement - incorporating the typewriter. Brilliant
    5). Which special effects scene looks dated now? That weren't bad to begin with? Lol. Can't think of any off the top of my head. :(

@penny · Not Penny's Boat
    May 29, 2020, 5:56pm PDT
  • Reply #2

Harry Potter The Sorcerer's Stone.

The Professional and Vanishing Point

E.T... I can't support any movie that has been altered for the sole purpose of political correctness.

The Exorcist, Conan The Barbarian

Flash Gordon

@redfish · Spawnout
    May 29, 2020, 6:05pm PDT
  • Reply #3

Room is an excellent adaptation. A few things are moved around, but very close.

Just watch the Alien 3 Assembly Cut, it's amazing.

Donnie Darko. I like some of the extra scenes, but there's some useless stuff in there though too.

There's a lot of good options for this. I love Fury Road's score...Aliens...Imitation Game...The Last Samurai....Braveheart....Titanic, but I have to go with the one that I've not only listened to the most, but also completes a film better than any score I can think of

Hell, almost anything from the 90s. Some of it holds up, a lot doesn't. Anaconda looks really bad now. Alien 3 looks abysmal for the most part. But for a specific scene, you can't get much more dated and awful than this

Answer any or all. Have fun with it.

Thank you again for the topic suggestions which this week's survey is based on.

@ingy · Inglourious Basterd
    May 30, 2020, 3:02pm PDT
  • Reply #4

1). Going with a deep cut here; The Unbearable Lightness of Being. It was the first time I was impressed by a film's translation of a book. Also young Daniel Day Lewis, Lena Olin and Juliette Binoche triangle. Good stuff.

2). With apologies to @penny, The Lord of the Rings cycle. In my opinion you can never have too much LotR. . . . unless it's The Hobbit.

3). The Man Who Fell to Earth added only pointless and/or excessive scenes. On a side note, I also prefer the original Blade Runner. It seems that I alone like the clunky Harrison Ford narration.

4). Amadeus probably doesn't count as it is about the music.
    So let's try Ben Hur(‘59), Gallipoli, Leap of Faith, Titanic, Black Orpheus.

5). A few years back The Last Starfighter was released on Blu-ray and I told my teenage son how good the effects were for such a low budget film. About half way through the fighter base gets blown up and my son exclaimed, "That was animation!" It was pretty bad. My son still laughs (mocks me) about it.

@kevin · Satellite of Love (SOL) (R)
    Jun 1, 2020, 12:31pm PDTEdited
  • Reply #5

@kevin I know I'm on an island with LoTR. Lol

@penny · Not Penny's Boat
    Jun 1, 2020, 12:34pm PDT
  • Reply #6

I agree on The Last Starfighter ... I just watched it last week and it's not how I remember it :-)

@redfish · Spawnout
    Jun 1, 2020, 1:20pm PDT
  • Reply #7

Penny needs to watch all three extended editions in one day!

@ingy · Inglourious Basterd
    Jun 4, 2020, 1:03pm PDT
  • Reply #8

There's a lot of good options for this. I love Fury Road's score...Aliens...Imitation Game...The Last Samurai....Braveheart....Titanic, but I have to go with the one that I've not only listened to the most, but also completes a film better than any score I can think of.

Ingy, the crescendo is amazing!

@tejon · Tejon 8
    Jun 7, 2020, 10:00pm PDT
Add Reply