Weathering With You

@kokichi · Ultimate Supreme Leader's Studio
Jan 19, 2020, 10:08am PST

So, who was lucky enough to see Weathering With You this weekend?
According to numbers, it's ranked 14th in the Box Office!
Kind of wish anime genre does get a shot for lineup in the future.

5 Replies

• Reply #1

We would love to include more anime on the FML slate as well, @kokichi. Weathering With You was on the pricing team's radar, but on Monday it was unclear whether its Wednesday and Thursday screenings would be rolled into Friday's box office earnings. The movie's official release date was Friday, January 17, so we would have priced it conservatively to make at least $6MM over MLK weekend (to include Wednesday and Thursday).

Because GKIDS appears to be reporting Wednesday and Thursday separately, that would have led to a dead option on the slate or player frustration that they didn't earn the Wednesday and Thursday "fan screenings" box office. In general, we don't like putting our players in a position of projecting a movie correctly but losing due to studio reporting logistics. So we left it off the slate even though we expected it to finish in the top 15 regardless of how it reported.

Our goal isn't to have the top 15 movies on the FML slate every week. We pick the 15 movies that we believe will make the game the most fun for the FML community. Unfortunately in this case, Weathering With You was too much of a wildcard to include. We hope to have more clarity with anime releases in the future so we can include them on the FML slate.

@vincent_pricing · Vincent Pricing
    Jan 19, 2020, 11:28am PST
  • Reply #2

I wonder if being distributed under the banner of GKids didn't hurt Weathering With You's potential box office. It definitely is geared more toward young adults and adults than kids. When I saw there there were some 4-8 year old kids in the row behind me and I'm not sure what they got out of this movie. Maybe the animation and the cat was enough to keep them engaged.

@ingy · Inglourious Basterd
    Jan 19, 2020, 12:46pm PST
  • Reply #3

Here's a potential question: what about the upcoming My Hero Academia movie, which is bound to make the top 15 of it's week

@botbotb · Botbotb
    Jan 19, 2020, 8:09pm PST
  • Reply #4

@botbotb Here's a potential question: what about the upcoming My Hero Academia movie, which is bound to make the top 15 of it's week

I think put it a bit above the last one, it's pretty much guaranteed to make a bit more than the first

@iggy · Iggman
    Jan 20, 2020, 11:07am PST
  • Reply #5

Good question @botbotb. According to Animation Magazine, My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising will open the last Wednesday in February in at least 1000 theaters. It needs to be considered for the FML slate, but getting more information about its release and reporting patterns will be determining factors. Limited theatrical engagements can have odd patterns. My Hero Academia: Two Heroes released on a Tuesday and had hardly any screenings on Friday and Sunday.

@vincent_pricing · Vincent Pricing
    Jan 20, 2020, 11:42am PSTEdited
Add Reply