Summer Of The BSA Week 2: "Neuralizing MIB!"

@bswhite · BSwhite 1970's Discoplex
Jun 12, 2019, 11:56am PDTEdited

Good Wednesday FMLers, BS here, with your Summer of the BSA Week 2 Advisory! First, a recap of last week's BSA, which saw Dark Phoenix crater to an all time X-Men franchise low. It was a terrible anchor choice, and never factored into the BP race, nor came close to being a part of the week 1 PC.

With the hot kickoff to The Summer of the BSA, the unstoppable streak continues! Now at a perfect 23 for 23 in 2019, and 27 straight weeks overall! There's never been a better time to be a part of the BSArmy, and enjoying the good life on the BSA party train! " Don't you know that it's time to get on board?!? And let the BSA party train keep riding, riding on through...."

Now, on the other hand, you've got the brave souls who have taken on the BSA vs FML Summer 2019 Challenge. Week 1 has put them all in at least a $15 mil deficit, and the tune they are singing is much different...

Alright, let's get at it for Week 2. FML pricing has begged me to BSA this, and FML depserately needs this advisory, as evidenced by this movie being the current #1 choice. So, for The Summer of the BSA Week 2, it's got to be....

MEN IN BLACK INTERNATIONAL
MIB International is the 4th movie in the once popular Men In Black franchise. Here's why you absolutely need to NEURALIZE this from your Week 2 Cineplex:
giphy.gif

REVIEWS
I sound like a broken record here, but lo and behold, the reviews stink! Currently at 32% on Rotten Tomatoes, chalk this up as the latest in a run of sequels that aren't up to snuff!
giphy.gif

FML PRICING
Are you kidding me with the $536 FML BUX price tag?!? Count your lucky stars if MIB manages a $50K value this weekend! NEXT!
giphy.gif

PRESALES
Break that record again, because the presales for MIB International are woeful. Granted, it's unfair to directly compare to Godzilla and Dark Phoenix, as those two movies had fanbases much more presale inclined. MIB International will skew more family/walk-up, but even with that, I'll throw a comp out there I like:
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=transformers6.htm

And, taking a look at the presales for Bumblebee vs MIB Int'l:
Bumblebee
Monday: 1553
Tuesday: 1817

MIB Int'l
Monday: 1496
Tuesday: 2065

Leads me to this week's HOT TAKE...

HOT TAKE
MIB International opens to UNDER $25 mil for the weekend!
And, HOT TAKE 1A: MIB International is in a dogfight to finish #1 for the weekend!
giphy.gif

A NEW "RULE OF THREE"
Time for what many of you love and some of you hate, the "secret recipe" portions of the BSA! Let's start with a new "Rule of 3". This Rule of 3 states that 3 straight weeks of lousy sequels, all aiming at a similar audience, will produce diminishing returns as we move from movie 1, to movie 2, to movie 3.
Godzilla - Opened in the 40's
Dark Phoenix - Opened in the 30's
MIB Int'l: Opens in the ??? (HINT: 20's!)
giphy.gif

MICKEY'S LAW
This law states that, any potential PG or PG-13 movie, not associated with the Disney brand, will far short of expectations. 2019 has been the year of Disney, and I see no end in sight. Get used to it. In a way it's similar to the BSA streak! Toy Story 4, Spiderman Far From Home (Disney/Marvel tie in), and Lion King are set to dominate the June to August period. Many are going to spend their $$ on those 3 behemoths, and the other studios will be begging for scraps. MIB International will be the latest casualty.
giphy.gif

BOTTOM LINE
FMLverse, this week is a slam dunk BSA...come on! Priced almost double, and more than double the other anchor options, MIB International is going to be a shockingly poor value. I guarantee it's not your week 2 BP, and at the steep price point, I don't see any way it fits into the Week 2 PC, even as a default anchor filler. Look elsewhere for your anchor. As always, good luck, and is the BSA headed for 28?!?
giphy.gif

30 Replies

• Reply #21

"If you go against The BSA, it might take you down."

"But if you listen to the BSA, It will never let you down."

51.4% of FML needed that advice this week, with Men In Black International.

The Summer Of The BSA is off to a scorching start, and the legendary streak rolls on!

24 straight weeks, perfection personified in 2019!

28 straight weeks overall!

Tune in Wednesday, for the next chapter in FML's longest continuously run, single authored thread!

giphy.gif

@bswhite · BSwhite 1970's Discoplex
    Jun 17, 2019, 2:20pm PDT
  • Reply #22

can 28 straight layups really be called legendary. let's see you bsa a day of the split this week.

@realfakefilms · Real Fake Films: Mountain High △
    Jun 17, 2019, 2:28pm PDT
  • Reply #23

@realfakefilms I wouldn't call Dumbo (Wk 1), La Llorona or G:KOTM layups. Both La Llorona and G:KOTM had very good Thurs nights and people were prematurely calling the streak over. Sure, there have been plenty of easy ones, but by saying it's 28 straight weeks of layups it's clear that you haven't been paying attention and are just here to be a troll.

@genaros_bear · The Tardigrex (r)
    Jun 17, 2019, 2:34pm PDTEdited
  • Reply #24

nah it's not trolling. if he didn't pat himself on the back so much. or have a league where he brags about winning by playing low-hanging fruit i wouldn't say anything. i've given him credit for bold plays before, but it's been non-stop ridiculousness (expect maybe ll which was just not thought out) for this entire streak.

even impressive streak would be fine... but legendary... come on.

Jun 17, 2019, 2:43pm PDT
  • Reply #25

@realfakefilmsSomebody takes this game way too seriously...
    I can't get over how ridiclously over offended you get with this guy. It's laughable... If he wants to call himself legendary how is that harming you? You don't like his posts, you don't have come to on here to read them or moan like an 80 year old grandpa about it. He's just having fun with his posts. Who is it harming? No one!

@zman2018 · Terminus
    Jun 17, 2019, 3:22pm PDT
  • Reply #26

I think he gives bad advice to new players while picking obvious bad value films. Sure maybe someone might avoid a bad play because of it... not likely, but the terrible reasons like rule of threes and curses are not real and a bad learning tool for new players. If his goal is to be this kind of resource he shouldn't include misleading or false reasons. I do take this game seriously; it takes a serious investment to be good at it. The BSA is not a helpful way to help new players jump to the next level. If he's free to call himself a legend, I'm equally free to mock his reasoning and choices.

Jun 17, 2019, 4:10pm PDT
  • Reply #27

@zman2018 "Somebody takes this game way too seriously. ... ". ..... ...
    If your gonna play the game you should take it seriously.. Taking the game serious is how you avoid dumb decisions like playing Godzilla over RocketMan this past weekend 😬

@old_crow · The Old Crow Picture Show
    Jun 17, 2019, 4:36pm PDT
  • Reply #28

@zman2018 "Somebody takes this game way too seriously. ... ". ..... ...
    If your gonna play the game you should take it seriously.. Taking the game serious is how you avoid dumb decisions like playing Godzilla over RocketMan this past weekend 😬

Oh please... you saw @sulli's drive inn report. There were a few people that played Godzilla over Rocketman. I wasn't the only one lol. It's all guess work. Sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong. In this case as I was wrong. Chalk it up as a learning experience and move on lol. Goes back to the floors and ceilings theory about how many screens a film will get and how many people will actually go see it.

@zman2018 · Terminus
    Jun 17, 2019, 5:07pm PDT
  • Reply #29

@realfakefilmsI can see how that offends you, meaning that you believe that new players that want to be great should not be taking Mr. White's advice. But I think White's intention is to reach people who aren't experts so they aren't embarrased by their overall standings. Those that aren't really interested in the math or keeping spreadsheets. It's fun and entertaining in my opinion. Beats going to a bonus bar (although I'm glad we have people around like @guyett who do that bc if not I would severely suck at this game) and reading numbers all day long. But I agree with your talking point and I see the full picture now that you've described in detail why you loathe his posts so much.

@zman2018 · Terminus
    Jun 17, 2019, 5:17pm PDT
  • Reply #30

@realfakefilmsI can see how that offends you, meaning that you believe that new players that want to be great should not be taking Mr. White's advice. But I think White's intention is to reach people who aren't experts so they aren't embarrased by their overall standings. Those that aren't really interested in the math or keeping spreadsheets. It's fun and entertaining in my opinion. Beats going to a bonus bar (although I'm glad we have people around like @guyett who do that bc if not I would severely suck at this game) and reading numbers all day long. But I agree with your talking point and I see the full picture now that you've described in detail why you loathe his posts so much.

@zman2018 · Terminus
    Jun 17, 2019, 5:17pm PDT
Add Reply