FriNiMovies - Trey Parker & Matt Stone Appreciation Night

@ingy · Inglourious Basterd
Jun 10, 2019, 6:38pm PDTEdited

I'm going to do a series of nights of appreciating for people in film. To start with, let's spread some appreciation in the world of animation. Trey Parker and Matt Stone are famous for the animated series South Park, which is starting its 23rd season in the fall, which will feature the series' 300th episode. Currently 297 episodes of the series has aired. The show has evolved from being mostly offensive, envelope pushing humour into a premiere source of satirical comedy that nothing else truly matches.

RABBIT LINK: https://www.rabb.it/InglouriousCinema

I watched the very first episode of South Park, Cartman Gets an Anal Probe, when it aired in 1997, when I was 11. I've watched almost every single episode as it airs ever since. Me and my brother used to tape every episode and watch them over and over again. I can barely even remember what life was like without South Park.

To appreciate Parker and Stone, I'll be screening two of their films, and my personal favourite episode of South Park, which is a two parter.

Movie 1 - South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (1999) - 6:00pm EST
Runtime: 80 minutes
71nKOjMd99L._SY679_.jpg

South Park s15e07 - You're Getting Old - 7:30pm EST
You're_Getting_Old_Screenshot.png

Movie 2 - Team America: World Police (2004) - 8:00pm EST
Runtime: 95 minutes
team-america-world-police-movie-poster-2004-1020234793.jpg

South Park s15e08 - Ass Burgers - 9:45pm EST
61edf0065b1d9889ed6249190d88ffac.gif

The next Appreciation Night will be honouring animator Don Bluth.

13 Replies

• Reply #1

One of my favorite episodes is when Cartman inherits money, buys an amusement park and refuses to let anyone in.

@kevin · Satellite of Love (SOL) (R)
    Jun 10, 2019, 7:04pm PDT
  • Reply #2

Cartmanland is a classic episode. Same with Casa Bonita.

Jun 10, 2019, 10:28pm PDT
  • Reply #3

Casa Bonita is great. Scott Tenorman Must Die, awesome-o, and the one where they think they've met a talking whale.

@realfakefilms · Real Fake Films: The Rural Juror △
    Jun 11, 2019, 5:20am PDT
  • Reply #4

Free Wllzyx is definitely a favourite of mine. I like Scott Tenorman Must Die, but it doesn't really hold up for me now. It was seminal in showing how evil Cartman can be, but he's done so much worse since and it lacks any real satire. Still very funny...but I don't know where it would land in my rankings. I mean, since then he literally tried to be Hitler 2.0, tried to exploit crack babies as slave labor, rigged the 2012 Presidential Election to get a part as Luke's son in Disney Star Wars, and partnered up with The Dark Lord Chtulu. Making a kid eat his parents doesn't seem so evil anymore haha. Then again, he also temporarily brought peace to the Middle East, inspired everyone to save the World...of Warcraft and his racism successfully disarmed a snuke and prevented the British from re-conquering America. So many it evens out for Cartman. Maybe?

I'm going to be ranking every episode of South Park before the 300th episode. It is NOT going to be easy. The show hasn't been renewed yet, so it just might be the final season.

Jun 11, 2019, 7:04am PDTEdited
  • Reply #5

One of my faves was The Succubus, where Chef is getting married, Cartman's optometrist, and the lochness monster

@stiger · Morally Compromised (R)
    Jun 11, 2019, 7:27am PDT
  • Reply #6

Bigger, Longer & Uncut remains one of my favorite comedies and is easily the best comedy(and musical) of the 90's. It's such a lean, creative, vulgar masterpiece.

As for the show itself, the Imaginationland trilogy or the episode with Michael Jackson moving to South Park remain my favorites.

@vondruke · KFBR392
    Jun 11, 2019, 8:03am PDT
  • Reply #7

Wisecrack on YouTube does a lot of really good videos on South Park. If you're a fan, you should check them out.

Jun 11, 2019, 6:25pm PDTEdited
  • Reply #8

Jun 14, 2019, 4:45am PDT
  • Reply #9

Might arrive in a bit late but don't wait for me.

@nosferatus_shadow · ... _ _ _ _._. _._
    Jun 14, 2019, 5:04am PDT
  • Reply #10

I know it's not technically one of their films, but I count BASEketball as one of my absolute guilty pleasures.

@donfishies · Donfishies Cinemas
    Jun 14, 2019, 8:00am PDT
Add Reply