Thursday Fandango Check - Spring Week 12

@phils_phun_phlicks · Phil's Phun Phlicks!
May 16, 2019, 9:40am PDTEdited

Ok, time to see how showtimes are shaping up for the Nielsen Top 40+1 markets. Data table is below…

http://analyzer.fmlnerd.com/showtimes/

And now, below, I present the FSS gross/show that you'll need to expect to in order for a movie to win the bonus. I get a lot of questions how I derive this, so here's a quick primer on how I calc this…

• Total showtimes are set equal to [Shows/Theater] observed in the top 40+1 multiplied by the total number of theaters showing found on BOMojo and then slightly reduced to account for the fact that many theaters in the top 40+1 have far more screens than theaters in smaller areas. This factor ranges from 70%-98% and depends on the shows/theater.
  • If the theater count is known at the time of this writing, I use that theater count as the national number. If not, I take the observed theater change in the top 40+1 data and apply it to the national number with some adjustment based on how the Top 40+1 week over week dropped compared to the national drop. If the theater count is not known and it's a platform release expanding, I assume the Top 40+1 represents 40% of the total locations (based off past observation).
  • BO Receipts are set equal to Guyett's Bonus Bar unless new information necessitates a change.
  • Thursday preview show counts are estimated at a 10% addition to the weekend showcount unless noted otherwise.

Bonus Bar will be set at $80k.

The Newbies

Movie | Gross/show | Change from LW

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum | $525/show |DEBUT
A Dog's Journey | $270/show |DEBUT
The Sun Is Also a Star | $219/show |DEBUT

82k shows for John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum is about 2k fewer than The Meg's OW. The Meg may seem like an odd comp, but it grossed $542/show its OW with a similar 60% market share of IMAX.
51k shows for A Dog's Journey is about 2k more than A Dog's Way Home and on par with A Dog's Purpose. Those two movies provide a nice range for ADJ, with Way Home on the low end at $230/show and Purpose on the high end at $359/show.
35k shows for The Sun Is Also a Star is about 4k more than After's OW, which grossed $194/show that weekend.

Holdover Tiers

Volume Winners - The options below saw a significant uptick or hold you may or may not have seen coming and may want to adjust your expectations up a bit.

None this week

Nothing to See Here - The options below didn't see a significant shift in expected volume or theater splitting. I would suggest whatever you thought about them before this post remains the same.

Avengers: Endgame | $351/show |-31.4%
Pokemon Detective Pikachu | $329/show |-36.6%
The Hustle | $173/show |-38.0%
The Intruder (2019) | $172/show |-22.7%
Long Shot | $132/show |-12.9%
Poms | $94/show |-26.9%
Breakthrough | $136/show |-14.2%
The Curse of La Llorona | $154/show |-14.8%
Shazam! | $137/show |-8.0%

Getting Dicey - The options below are either losing a decent number of theaters, are moving into a split screen situation after previously having a full screen at theaters showing them, or were priced for some expansion that did not come to pass. I wouldn't call them useless, but I'd temper expectations.

Tolkien | $109/show |10.0%

DOA - The options below likely lost too much volume to matter this week. Avoid if possible.

Uglydolls | $116/show |30.0%
Captain Marvel | $169/show |28.9%

6 Replies

• Reply #1

The BSA wholeheartedly supports a "DOA" proclamation on Uglydolls!

giphy.gif

@bswhite · BSwhite 1970's Discoplex
    May 16, 2019, 10:39am PDT
  • Reply #2

I do agree on the A Dog's Journey comp to A Dog's Journey

@iggy · Iggman
    May 16, 2019, 11:13am PDT
  • Reply #3

I can keep these dumb dog movies straight about as well as you and Ingy. Either way, corrected.

May 16, 2019, 12:20pm PDT
  • Reply #4

I can keep these dumb dog movies straight about as well as you and Ingy. Either way, corrected.

I've never noticed Iggy or Ingy mixing up their dog movies before.

100.webp

@brandonj · Particular Set of Movie Skills
    May 16, 2019, 12:43pm PDT
  • Reply #5

I've never noticed Iggy or Ingy mixing up their dog movies before.

How about you don't mix up which door hits you in the ass on the way out of Skynet?!

May 16, 2019, 12:53pm PDT
  • Reply #6

tumblr_p3npjgTSUt1x1uff5o1_500.gif

@brandonj · Particular Set of Movie Skills
    May 16, 2019, 1:12pm PDT
Add Reply