BSA Spring Week 7: "You Are The Weakest Link!"

@bswhite · BSwhite 1970's Discoplex
Apr 10, 2019, 12:25pm PDT

Good Wednesday FMLverse, BS here, with your Spring Week 7 BSA! First, a recap of last week's BSA for Dummies, which plainly laid out why Dumbo wouldn't send your Cineplex soaring to new heights. Dumbo finished the weekend UNDER $20 mil, and those who screened it as either an anchor or filler were left cleaning the animal stalls.

The legendary run of the BSA rolls on! Each and every week, the BSA rewrites the record books and FML history! 14 straight weeks so far in 2019, 18 straight weeks, dating back to the beginning of December 2018! How hot is the BSA right now?
giphy.gifYou can feel the heat literally emanating through your computers and phones!

So, the BSA has hammered Dumbo for the last 2 weeks. Does Ol' Big Ears get taken to the woodshed a 3rd time? No, I think the message has been sent, besides, it's one of the lowest screened movies so far this week. Nope, this week's BSA is going to evolve, and look to a new release. For Spring Week 7, the BSA advises against.....

MISSING LINK
Missing Link is the latest release from Laika. Laika usually releases critically acclaimed films, but they don't necessarily win over at the box office. I think the same happens with Missing Link, and here's why screening Missing Link will make your Cineplex the WEAKEST LINK!
giphy.gif

AWFUL PRE-SALES
Listen, kids/family movies typically don't show all that well in pre-sales data, however the pre-sales data we have seen so far for Missing Link is quite frankly, terrible. Let's look at Missing Link, and compare with a couple of recent comps:

Missing Link - Monday (162), Tuesday (299)
Wonder Park - Monday (607), Tuesday (988)
The Kid Who Would Be King - Monday (107), Tuesday (318)

As you can see, Missing Link is about 1/3 of where Wonder park was. Wonder Park opened to $15.85 mil. Missing Link is about on par with The Kid Who Would Be King. The Kid Who Would Be King opened to $7.17 mil. This doesn't look good.
giphy.gif

FML PRICING
Missing Link comes to us this week, priced at $155 FML BUX. I'm scared that there are FMLers out there entertaining a 6x anchor play of it! Once again, I think FML pricing overshot the mark by at least 20%. It also leads me to this week's Hot Take....

HOT TAKE
At least TWO movies priced below Missing Link's $155 Price will outgross it this weekend! Which ones you ask? I'll give you a hint for one of them:
giphy.gif

COMPETITION
Missing Link faces direct competition from Shazam and Dumbo, the former looking to post a strong 2nd weekend hold, the latter looking to stabilize any way possible. Both will have a direct impact on the Box Office prospects for Missing Link.
giphy.gif

WE JUST HAD AN ANIMATED "BIGFOOT" MOVIE
As in, last Fall's Smallfoot. Is the family demo screaming for another Bigfoot animated movie, the 2nd in 6 months?!? I don't think there's much clamoring for that!
giphy.gif

BOTTOM LINE
Missing Link will be a weak link in your week 7 Cineplex. I wouldn't dare anchor with it 6x, as the floor for that play could be dangerously low. As for being a filler, I've got movies priced lower than it, making more FML $$ this weekend, or being of better FML value. So, FMLers, does this BSA make it to see 15 in a row in 2019, and 19 in a row overall??? As always, good luck!

27 Replies

• Reply #11

@bor is in with his predictions:

http://www.boxofficereport.com/predictions/predictions20190410.html

And, we all know that when The BSA and BOR are on the same page, well....

giphy.gif

@bswhite · BSwhite 1970's Discoplex
    Apr 10, 2019, 7:31pm PDT
  • Reply #12

I could watch Jordan fly like that for hours.

@fourthwall · Fourth Wall
    Apr 10, 2019, 10:33pm PDT
  • Reply #13

Serious difference in PBO vs BOR/BSA.

@yallplayscared · That A**hole Minion (R)
    Apr 11, 2019, 2:03pm PDT
  • Reply #14

@zman2018

I was laughed at when I screamed to people at resistance to do a comp of kid who would be king with link...

What you said never happened. You actually made posts saying you were playing Missing Link and then followed advice from Snoop to not play it. You never brought up any comps

@jakthird · jakthird (R)
    Apr 11, 2019, 7:46pm PDT
  • Reply #15

@zman2018

I was laughed at when I screamed to people at resistance to do a comp of kid who would be king with link...

What you said never happened. You actually made posts saying you were playing Missing Link and then followed advice from Snoop to not play it. You never brought up any comps

@jakthirdI totally did in other chats. Read son. Just not in the R chat. A member of R laughed at me for comparing it to Kid would be king.

@zman2018 · Terminus
    Apr 11, 2019, 8:43pm PDT
  • Reply #16

@zman2018

@jakthirdI totally did in other chats. Read son. Just not in the R chat. A member of R laughed at me for comparing it to Kid would be king.

@zman2018 · Terminus
  • Reply #17

@zman2018

@zman2018 · Terminus
  • Reply #18

@jakthirdI have no beef with you. I initially bought hype of playing link bc people in R thought this was a good play. So what it was a monday. So guess what I did I came up with a comp and it was Kid Who Would Be King. So people in R were sent here to make fun of me! Just like always... And yes I also listend to @snoop. He's a great player and a good dude. But I ran the comp before I took the advice. So please tell me if no one in R thought this was a good play why was I laughed at for it? Minion sure came to laugh at @bswhitein a hurry. I blocked minion so I wouldn't know what he said anyways. Meanwhile I would take @snoop and @bswhite well before I would take the advice of some people in R. So yeah I have 0 beef with you... good luck with your lineup this week.

@zman2018 · Terminus
    Apr 11, 2019, 8:57pm PDT
  • Reply #19

@zman2018 @jakthirdI have no beef with you. I initially bought hype of playing link bc people in R thought this was a good play. So what it was a monday. So guess what I did I came up with a comp and it was Kid Who Would Be King. So people in R were sent here to make fun of me! Just like always... And yes I also listend to @snoop. He's a great player and a good dude. But I ran the comp before I took the advice. So please tell me if no one in R thought this was a good play why was I laughed at for it? Minion sure came to laugh at @bswhitein a hurry. I blocked minion so I wouldn't know what he said anyways. Meanwhile I would take @snoop and @bswhite well before I would take the advice of some people in R. So yeah I have 0 beef with you... good luck with your lineup this week.

No one did laugh at you in the R. You received advice and guidance from Snoop and others. Even you said - your post about Kid comp was made elsewhere. So thanks for confirming my point that what you said - that the Resistance laughed at you - didn't happen. Maybe someone disagreed with you outside the R who also happened to be a member of our shared group but that doesn't give you the right to call out the R as a group which is what you did initially

@jakthird · jakthird (R)
    Apr 11, 2019, 9:10pm PDT
  • Reply #20

@zman2018 @jakthirdI have no beef with you. I initially bought hype of playing link bc people in R thought this was a good play. So what it was a monday. So guess what I did I came up with a comp and it was Kid Who Would Be King. So people in R were sent here to make fun of me! Just like always... And yes I also listend to @snoop. He's a great player and a good dude. But I ran the comp before I took the advice. So please tell me if no one in R thought this was a good play why was I laughed at for it? Minion sure came to laugh at @bswhitein a hurry. I blocked minion so I wouldn't know what he said anyways. Meanwhile I would take @snoop and @bswhite well before I would take the advice of some people in R. So yeah I have 0 beef with you... good luck with your lineup this week.

No one did laugh at you in the R. You received advice and guidance from Snoop and others. Even you said - your post about Kid comp was made elsewhere. So thanks for confirming my point that what you said - that the Resistance laughed at you - didn't happen. Maybe someone disagreed with you outside the R who also happened to be a member of our shared group but that doesn't give you the right to call out the R as a group which is what you did initially

I didnt call out R group. I said people in R group. I was laughed at in R group by people. That's not calling them out @jakthird. You take this stuff waayyyyy too seriously! Next I'll have my life threatend on here. Over what FML? Sorry to upset you but this to me if fun and games. I'm 10th in R right btw, but who cares? It's just for fun.

@zman2018 · Terminus
    Apr 11, 2019, 9:23pm PDT
Add Reply