Coming Attractions: Presidents' Day Weekend

@fmlqa · FML Quality Assurance
Feb 10, 2019, 4:42pm PSTEdited

We've got another 4-day box office weekend coming up in FML! We're currently considering the following new releases for inclusion in the field of 15:

• Happy Death Day 2U
  • Alita: Battle Angel
  • Isn't It Romantic?
  • 2019 Oscar Nominated Shorts

Note that Oscar Shorts is an interesting but potentially problematic inclusion for FML: we love the idea of it, but we need more confidence than we have right now that we'll get box office for it in a timely manner. Also note that $They Shall Not Grow Old is also in the running to make the slate.

Anything we've overlooked? Or any good intel to share? Share it here!

16 Replies

• Reply #1

We've been getting regular updates on the live-action shorts, so I think we'll get it, but let's see how they report actuals, and if we don't, then add They Shall Not Grow Old in the bottom, it's a toss up between the two

@iggy · Iggman
    Feb 10, 2019, 4:44pm PST
  • Reply #2

I think I speak for everyone when I say we are looking forward to BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY making the slate in the 15th slot.

@b_rad · B-(R)ad
    Feb 10, 2019, 5:02pm PST
  • Reply #3

On the Oscar shorts, you'd have to add it as "Oscar Nominated Shorts". Looking at history on Mojo, they do not differentiate between the different categories of shorts and lump all 3 together.

@lurker · Still Showing Blade Runner 2049
    Feb 10, 2019, 5:08pm PST
  • Reply #4

@b_rad I think I speak for everyone when I say we are looking forward to BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY making the slate in the 15th slot.

@iggy · Iggman
    Feb 10, 2019, 5:10pm PST
  • Reply #5

I love the idea of the shorts.

@lars · La Forza del Destino (IOU)
    Feb 10, 2019, 5:18pm PST
  • Reply #6

I'd rather have Botr than the shorts

@trayoder · Are You Fluent in Gif?
    Feb 10, 2019, 6:44pm PST
  • Reply #7

@trayoder I'd rather have Botr than the shorts

Considering the factors, it would be better just to add BR if you don't want to add the Oscar shorts, since BOTR would literally just be the Oscar shorts unless some random Bollywood movie comes in and destroys the weekend

@iggy · Iggman
    Feb 10, 2019, 9:19pm PST
  • Reply #8

HDD2U, Alita, and Isn't It Romantic? belong on the slate. ER, MPR, and Kid Who Would Be King should be removed. The most predictable choice for the slate would be BR. Boring but safe.

Oscar shorts are being distributed differently this year. Normally I'd be sure they'd be too weak for the slate, but it's a bit more unpredictable.

So three proposals:

1) BR 15th Slot'
    2) BotR
    3) BR/Oscar Shorts Double Feature

I think BR is least appealing. The double feature idea is simply that the combined revenue of both films is give to the screens. Doesn't have to BR/Oscar, BR/ER works too and avoids a terrible 15th slot.

BotR is preferable to BR because you can price to BR ceiling and any surprises likely work with a similar bar.

@realfakefilms · Real Fake Films: Chunnel △
    Feb 10, 2019, 10:18pm PST
  • Reply #9

If you want a fun action flick, I highly recommend Alita.
    We in the UK certainly enjoyed it!

@kokichi · Kokichi's Supreme Screening
    Feb 11, 2019, 3:08am PST
  • Reply #10

I believe they already combine the 2, no need for a double feature

@iggy · Iggman
    Feb 11, 2019, 5:48am PST
Add Reply