Garbs's 3rd Annual FML Oscar Pool

@garbs · The Garbera Redemption (KotRT)
Jan 22, 2019, 4:16pm PSTEdited

What's up FML? It's Garbs and I am back with this year's Oscar Pool competition. After the success of last year's pool, I told you I would be running it again. Much like Mr. Thatcher, I am a big fan of the Oscars. I have been since I was a teenager. So running a game like this is a lot of fun for me. Especially since I only have a couple of friends outside of FML that like to make Oscar picks as well.

THE GAME

So the first year I ran this, we got a total of 25 people. Which was awesome. But the second year I ran it (last year), I challenged FML to step it up. And you guys did! Because last year, we had a total of 78 entries. Which was much higher than I was expecting.

So it only makes sense to challenge you to do that again. But this time, I have an incentive...

The first two years I've ran this, the winner has pretty much only received bragging rights for the year. I wasn't able to give away a prize. But that's going to change this time.

Because I've decided that the winner this year will receive a $25 movietickets.com gift card. I know it isn't much, but I think something is better than nothing. I want to show you guys that I appreciate all your support. And giving a prize this year to the winner only makes sense.

Oh wait! Did I say it was a $25 prize? Because initially, it was going to be...

That is until I heard from my good friends over at the The FML Pod. And they told me that they would love to sponsor this game this year. So not only will they be plugging it on their weekly podcast (the best movie podcast there is by the way!), but they have agreed to match my $25 prize!

That's right! The winner this year will receive $50 in movietickets.com gift cards!!!

Not bad for a free game where all you have to do is fill out a Google doc.

THE RULES:

Like the last two years, we will be predicting all 24 categories. I do include the short categories because they are hard to predict. It makes it less likely that we will have a tie. (More on that later.)

-The form is set to close one hour before the start of the show. The Oscars are set to air on Feb. 24th at 8et/5p. Which means you have until 7et/4p on that same day to submit your form. That's just over a month from now. Which is plenty of time. Although, I still expect people to wait until the last minute.

-You can submit as many times as you want. I will just keep the form with the most recent time stamp. So go ahead and change your minds as many times as you like. It won't bother me.

-In the event of a tie, I won't be using the earliest submissions as a tiebreaker like I did last year. This year, I will use a point system. I have assigned each category a specific point value. If you get a correct prediction for that category, you get those points. Pretty simple. The points will only be used in the event of a tie. The point system will be as follows:

-Best Picture- 10 pts
-Best Director- 8 pts
-Acting and Screenplay Categories (6 total)- 7 pts
-Short Categories (3 total)- 6 pts
-All others- 4 pts

I made the short categories higher than the below the line, because of how hard they can be to predict. So it should hopefully help with making sure we don't have any ties with the actual tiebreaker.

But here is the link:
https://goo.gl/forms/mSAVnz4cpVoCNRh43

Otherwise, that's all I have. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. The form is live now. So get started on that research and get those picks in to me. You have one month to try and be crowned this year's FML Oscars champ.

Later FML!

39 Replies

• Reply #1

I forgot to mention, I am making myself ineligible to win the gift cards. So I'm the event that I do win, I'll be defaulting the prize to the second-place finished.

Jan 22, 2019, 4:25pm PST
  • Reply #2

Wow. 11 submissions the first day. That means we are on pace for over 300 submissions. 😂🤣

I guess it shows that when you allow people to win prizes without having to do anything, they are going to be all over it. Lol.

Jan 24, 2019, 5:36am PST
  • Reply #3

@garbs Wow. 11 submissions the first day. That means we are on pace for over 300 submissions. 😂🤣

I guess it shows that when you allow people to win prizes without having to do anything, they are going to be all over it. Lol.

I just like predicting the Oscars

@iggy · Iggman
    Jan 24, 2019, 6:26am PST
  • Reply #4

I just like predicting the Oscars

Me too. That's why I do this. Being around a ton of people who actually like doing predictions means this is an easy game to run.

Jan 24, 2019, 9:12am PST
  • Reply #5

Just call this a Green Book Oscar bump.

Up to 14 people. Let's see how many we can get today.

Jan 25, 2019, 3:36am PST
  • Reply #6

Excite to play again for third year. Thank you @garbs for running game!

@miyagi · Miyagi-Do Theatres
    Jan 26, 2019, 5:54am PST
  • Reply #7

Miyagi!!! As the first ever winner of my Oscar pool, I'm glad you're back. Good luck!

Jan 26, 2019, 6:35am PST
  • Reply #8

Ill join! I wont fill out, though, until I've done enough research!

@damienrocks · Damien rocks
    Jan 26, 2019, 10:28am PST
  • Reply #9

That's cool. I expect most submissions to come a few days before the show.

Jan 26, 2019, 11:13am PST
  • Reply #10

Done!

@tejon · Tejon 8
    Jan 26, 2019, 1:02pm PST
Add Reply