Bracketology 101: Moving Right Along

@garbs · The Garbera Redemption (KotRT)
Dec 18, 2018, 3:26pm PSTEdited

What's up FML? Garbs here with another edition of B101. The thread where I find movies with a common theme, and then make brackets out of them for you to vote on.

So if you haven't heard, the website Brackify will be shutting down at the end of the month. That was news to me. So after weeks of research with trying to find a new website to use, I decided there weren't any I liked. So my final decision, was to use a Google form that you all can vote on. It may be a little bit more work, but I think it's the best solution to make sure this thread keeps going. I like doing it, and I know you all enjoy it (otherwise you wouldn't vote). So I'll do whatever it takes to keep it around.

With that said, let's review our last bracket.

It was FML Pod co-host Drew Angelman who came up with last month's theme, Best Low-Budget movies. Every movie in that bracket was made with a budget of 5Mil or less. And it turned out to be quite a lot of fun. The finals saw The Breakfast Club go one-on-one with Reservoir Dogs. If you want to know who won, you will have to tune into this week's FML Pod episode for the reveal. But thanks a ton to Drew for all the help.

For this month's bracket, I reached out to my good buddy Pandora Cineplex, to help me pick a theme. And I think he was able to come up with something that will be highly debated, but lots of fun.

This month's bracket theme is:

ICONIC CINEMATIC TRANSPORTATION

So what does that mean? Well, we aren't just talking about famous movie cars here. Although, that does make up a good chunk of the bracket. But in this case, we are talking about anything that helps a character (or characters) get from one place to another. It could have wheels, or it could fly. It could be used in an entire movie, or just a couple scenes. I think you get the idea. There's a lot of famous and iconic modes of transport. Much like the best villain bracket, or the iconic movie quotes, I'm sure I could've found more than 64. But I think what I did find, everybody will like.

As for the rankings, I literally just randomly assigned each entry a seed based off of a random number generator. That's the most fair way I could come up with.

So below, I will post the link to the round of 64. Also, the links to each round will just be updated in the OP. So when a new round starts, the link will be here, and not in the comment section.

Here are the links:

Round of 64: https://goo.gl/forms/SpXKmi5JpKxaucro2

Round of 32: https://goo.gl/forms/xYVh9GkYBCmblBDq1

Round of 16: https://goo.gl/forms/Li5ZfZei9W5mq7P13

Round of 8: https://goo.gl/forms/WmFwGaUyyrfwPPew2

Round of 4: https://goo.gl/forms/MeWSAtdNob8CRpG72

Finals: https://goo.gl/forms/OLG236rfCi7AIOgv2

One more thing, the finals will still have a live vote on Twitter. That seems to work just fine, and until you all decide you don't like that, I won't change it. In fact, we may start adding the semis to Twitter also. But I'm still thinking about that one.

The bracket is live now. The first round will finish at the end of the week. As always, I will keep you updated with that info. I really look forward to any feedback you have about this new system. And I fully expect there to be some discussion on this bracket. Especially, one matchup in particular. You all will know it when you see it.

The bracket is live now. So get those votes in. And I will see y'all later this week.

Peace out FML!

33 Replies

• Reply #1

Really fun theme and a solid solid bracket.

@brandonj · Particular Set of Movie Skills
    Dec 18, 2018, 5:18pm PST
  • Reply #2

Thank you!

Got any favorites you want to see win?

Dec 18, 2018, 5:18pm PST
  • Reply #3

I don't know, but working through the bracket makes you realize there are a ton of iconic vehicles--more than the few that initially come to mind. Obviously there are some classics that should make it pretty far, but then there are some personal favorites like the Mach 5 and the TMNT van that will likely die an early death. And I just got a Jurassic Park license plate from a Secret Santa at work on Friday that I've stuck on the front of my car now. Roughest round one match up by far is the DeLorean up against the '89 Batmobile. Now that's just unfair.

Dec 18, 2018, 5:26pm PSTEdited
  • Reply #4

JP_04_Front_51a64092-a08a-45f3-b868-9a6b2d677531.jpg

[Double post, so I'll drop in my new plate here. Was having trouble getting the image to work though, so here's a randomly pulled one. Moved to a new state in the last couple years where front plates aren't required. So now I'm driving the Batmobile and a JP Explorer.]

Dec 18, 2018, 5:26pm PSTEdited
  • Reply #5

I know. That's the matchup I was talking about in the OP.

But I agree, there's quite a few that I would consider iconic. I think that's what makes this bracket so much fun. I had a lot of fun putting it together.

Dec 18, 2018, 5:44pm PST
  • Reply #6

Love this one! Great job guys.

@sweep_the_leg · "Sweep The Leg"
    Dec 18, 2018, 7:11pm PST
  • Reply #7

We got a good amount of votes in so far, but we could always use more. So if you haven't done so, make sure you submit yours.

I'll post what films are leading tomorrow. That way you guys have an idea of where are the films are at.

Dec 19, 2018, 5:09pm PST
  • Reply #8

Damn. I didn't think it would be so hard but there were a couple that I was just completely torn on!! Well done @garbs !!

@penny · Not Penny's Boat
    Dec 19, 2018, 5:14pm PST
  • Reply #9

@brandonj you and me both. I went with my heart on that but I had a really tough time

@penny · Not Penny's Boat
    Dec 19, 2018, 5:15pm PST
  • Reply #10

Hogwarts Express vs the Enterprise, in round one ?!?! What are you trying to do to me?

@violetmoon · Violet Moon
    Dec 19, 2018, 5:29pm PST
Add Reply