Bad year for movies

@coolfilovies · CFM Cineplex
Dec 14, 2018, 5:52am PST

2018 was a bad year for films. When ads this year are saying the new Spider-Man animated movie is the best of the year, I looked to see how hard this is. When you look at the big films this year you would see that there wasn't many good one. One good example is Jurassic world 2. Easily 2018 worst movie. Another is infinity war. I have a rare opinion of this film in that I see it for what it is, a boarding film with nothing special. Watch it back to back to batman v Superman and you will see that it is the marvel equivalent. Both films have a hard to follow plot, where nothing happens over long period of time with bits and pieces of good movie, but nothing to make it stand out and a final fight scene that last 30 minutes too long. Or how about another blockbuster fantastic beasts 2. What a bad movie. It is films live this that make infinity war look good and stand out as one of the 2018 best. Even some of the smaller films which are always hit or miss were terrible this year. Example goosebumps 2. The first one was enjoyable. The second one is one you play in the background of a preschoolers party. However there was some okay movies. Take black panther. Would have been a good film if there wasn't so much cgi. CGI was everywhere. But I understand why people would think it is good. There was some great films this year too. Take MI:!fallout or Johnny English. Fun enjoyable films that shouldn't stand out as the best of 2018 but do. So yeah, into the spider verse could easily be the best. It isn't that hard to do this year. What do you think

15 Replies

• Reply #1

I disagree. This was a pretty tremendous year for movies.

@cancalyx · EvanD Cineplex
    Dec 14, 2018, 5:55am PST
  • Reply #2

I think you need to watch more independent cinema and look beyond the Top 30-40 grossers of the year.

@dukeofnewyorka1 · dukeofnewyorkA#1
    Dec 14, 2018, 6:01am PST
  • Reply #3

It all depends on which movies people chose to spend their time with. I personally wouldn't strongly agree or disagree, but to each their own. I took my kids (8,7, and 4) to Spider-Man last night, and it was a blast. Best of the year? No. But it was one of the best non Disney animations I've ever seen.

@kevboats · Kevboats (R)
    Dec 14, 2018, 6:15am PST
  • Reply #4

I will say popular movies have not been the best, but the independent scene has been doing great, the variety and the quality just has been great all year, possibly enough for me to make a top 10 list and not even include one movie that's opening weekend was wide

@iggy · Iggman
    Dec 14, 2018, 6:29am PST
  • Reply #5

A) Spider-Man is the best animated film of the year
    and
    B) It was a fantastic year for film, not just some big time blockbusters but smaller films. Heck I could make a top 10 list just from all the great documentaries released this year.

@user3n9dr4 · cdelgado6's Cineplex
    Dec 14, 2018, 7:29am PST
  • Reply #6

It was a decent year... Fallout and A Quiet Place were great, Widows and Searching caught me off guard with how good they were, Upgrade was refreshing, and Marvel kept doing its thing. And let's not forget the perfection of Paddington 2.

@teichrod · Just Too High Strung Cinema
    Dec 14, 2018, 7:37am PST
  • Reply #7

Widows, Sorry to Bother You, Tyrel, Crime + Punishment, Won't You Be My Neighbor, 3 Identical Strangers, Incredibles 2, Hereditary, Halloween, Blockers, Bad Times At The El Royale...

It sounds like within the very limited range of big blockbuster action franchise movies that you go to see it wasn't a great year for movies, but this was actually a great year. Expand your palette a bit, my man.

@genaros_bear · The Tardigrex
    Dec 14, 2018, 7:47am PST
  • Reply #8

Going to echo what everyone else said in that some of the blockbusters may have been iffy, but there were some truly magnificent mid-budget and independent films released this year -- along with some great documentaries. If you don't think it was a terrific year for movies, you need to broaden your film horizons and start looking into some of the recommendations listed above this post because this year's film crop was one of the best of the decade.

@donfishies · Donfishies Cinemas
    Dec 14, 2018, 8:53am PST
  • Reply #9

This is one of the best years ever for documentaries. RBG, Won't You Be My Neighbor, Three Identical Strangers, Minding the Gap, Shirkers, and I probably forgot a couple.

@yackback · Eman Xelpenic Sd(r)awkcab
    Dec 14, 2018, 9:13am PST
  • Reply #10

@yackback This is one of the best years ever for documentaries. RBG, Won't You Be My Neighbor, Three Identical Strangers, Minding the Gap, Shirkers, and I probably forgot a couple.

The up and coming They Shall Not Grow Old and Free Solo are probably some honorable mentions

@iggy · Iggman
    Dec 14, 2018, 10:36am PST
Add Reply