Fall 2018 Lifetime Average Season Rankings Update

@austin · Austin Buyers Club
Dec 3, 2018, 6:19pm PSTEdited

• Spreadsheet with Average Player Rankings for FML's 14 Seasons
  • includes final Season Showdown rankings for every FML season
  • excludes your first season if you didn't start the first week of that season
  • excludes all seasons missing 3+ actively set lineups
  • only includes players who have played at least 3 seasons
  • only includes players with the top 1000 averages
  • excludes players who skipped last season and missed at least 3 weeks the previous season.
  • Previous Season's Post

This metric for grading long-term success has more flaws than PC%, but average rankings are easier to understand. Plus, this spreadsheet gives people a quick view of some of the best players' season-by-season rankings. Spreadsheet cells with darker colors have been excluded from calculations.

If you're a new player, be sure to join the public Season Showdown league before screens lock on Friday. We're about to start a new season, and the Season Showdown is what most veteran players consider to be the best contest on the site. You'll be able to see how you stack up against the rest of the FML community during multiple months of play.

17 Replies

• Reply #1

Into my third season. Hoping to make the list next season. 🤞🏼

@raghy78d · Raïsh Mamoe
    Dec 3, 2018, 6:58pm PST
  • Reply #2

This amazing!!! It's also depressing that my alt is more than twice as good as me. Hahaha.

@penny · Not Penny's Boat
    Dec 3, 2018, 7:53pm PST
  • Reply #3

Can we just pretend my first three seasons don't exist? It's still a pretty big sample.

@protagonist · The Force A-Nathan-s
    Dec 3, 2018, 9:07pm PST
  • Reply #4

It is going to be increasingly difficult to better my score on this. Well, I hope at least.

@fourthwall · Fourth Wall
    Dec 4, 2018, 4:51am PST
  • Reply #5

Those Flops and BSD rankings are just jaw dropping.

@fourthwall · Fourth Wall
    Dec 4, 2018, 4:54am PST
  • Reply #6

This is awesome. Thank you ABC.

I am amazed at the 8 winners who have either left the game or didn't play enough seasons or aren't ranked in the top 1000. Either they were like, "pfff, this is so easy. I'm out," or they got incredibly lucky one season?

@omalpha · I Am The Omalpha
    Dec 4, 2018, 6:02am PST
  • Reply #7

Man from 515 to 900 to off the list.. just not enough time -- this season and the 5000 something pretty much killed me..

Have a question on how it put together, it looks like I put in a line up this week on week one, but then didn't for weeks 2 through 4, but the site puts in the previous weeks lineup is that counted as missing a week?

@drive_ins_gone · Where have all the Drive-Ins Gone.
    Dec 4, 2018, 6:43am PST
  • Reply #8

@drive_ins_gone automatic carry-over cineplexes add box office to your total and impact your FML season ranking, and your season rankings on this sheet should match your official FML season rankings. But carry-over cineplexes don't count as an "actively set lineup" when my sheet calculates whether you're an active enough player to qualify for the list or your season should count towards your lifetime average. So if you miss three weeks in a season, that season won't hurt your average even if FML gives you some carry-over box office dollars.

Dec 4, 2018, 7:59am PST
  • Reply #9

@drive_ins_gone looking at your specific situation, it was your Summer 2018 ranking of 3997 that killed you. Your Fall 2018 ranking of 5002 doesn't count because you missed 3 weeks. So your current average is 1173. And you know what? There's not a compelling reason for me to cap the list at an average ranking of 1000 or better. So I extended the list to 1000 people. And you made the list!

Dec 4, 2018, 8:16am PST
  • Reply #10

Tangential question: based on the data you have, is there a cause for concern with the number of players playing SS regularly? I'm not exactly sure I know or need to know your methods, but with the missed week data (and looking at the seasons uncapped in terms of number of players), can you give a solid estimate at how many "regular" (set a lineup every week) there have been over the last 2, 4, 8, (whatever) seasons? Curious to know how small it's actually gotten, and how much of that can be tied to the site shift when FML League was introduced.

Aside from just being curious, the main reason I ask is this: for the last two seasons, there are 57 (!) players that have an average score of less than 100. For the last 4 seasons, that number is expectedly lower, but still at 31. That first number in particular tells me that one of two things is happening: either 1) the best of the best are only getting better and separating themselves more from the rest of the pack, and/or 2) the realistic player pool for SS has reduced to the point where it's not terribly difficult to place in the top 100 (or perhaps 200 would be a better baseline for this question). It's entirely possible that it's just a combination of the two, but this seems unlikely to me.

I think my general thinking is that the "regular" player pool for SS has shrunk by a factor of...6? 8?..over the last year or two. Is this way off base?

PS: I love this file. I might suggest adding a few columns that I add: count of Top 20s, count of Top 100s (or fill in your favorite, could be top 10s or 50s), and average last X seasons (I have columns for last 2, 4, and 6 seasons). :)

PPS: In case anyone ever wants to doubt Flops, average for last 4 seasons is 6.75. He also completed the feat I came close to but couldn't, which is 4 straight Top 20 seasons (and almost made it 4 straight Top 10s, which is just stunning). Hats off, Flops. It's incomprehensible how you can basically never make a misstep, given how easy it is to. 5 top 13-or-better rankings in the last 6 seasons is insane.

@dylan · Biff
    Dec 4, 2018, 9:24am PSTEdited
Add Reply